Loud comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryora

Baseband Member
Athlon 3000+ Venice 939
MSI GeForce 6600GT AGP
420w Power Supply (came with the case, Scorpion Raidmax)
Five case fans
40GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HD

My computer sounds like a hairdryer. I'm trying to find out which of the component's fans are causing most of the noise. I know it's not the case fans' fault because I've plugged/unplugged them and tested but noticed barely any noise difference.

After not using the comp for hours and turning it on, the loudness isn't bad. The wierd thing is that after I played some MIDIs on Winamp for about 20 minutes, the comp starts to roar. Therefore it is probably not the 6600GT or Power Supply since I didn't run any heavy programs.

So that leaves the CPU and the HD to blame. I rebooted and checked the bios for info on the CPU. It said something like 31 Degrees and 5400RPM. So it's probably the HD's fault since it's not a very high quality piece of hardware and would probably be stressed by loading little programs like Winamp. Or could the noise be caused by all of these fans in unison?

ok, i had this problem and it was the graphic card fan. take out your graphics card and then turn on your comp. let it sit for a while and see if that is your problem. if not, when your computer starts making that noise, open it up and unplug your cpu fan, with the computer still on. wait for the fan to stop, see if the sound stops, and then immediately turn off your comp or plug your fan back in. if you still haven't found the problem, put in a different hd, or just unplug your current one and see if the sound stops. if none of those are the problem, then the sound is most likely coming from your power supply. to test this, you can stick a paper clip just inside of the power supply, just enough to stop the fan, and see if that stops the sound.

i wouldn't rule out the psu. i'm not sure about socket 939s, but i have a socket 775 and those fans are huge, so that's where most of my noise is coming from. i have 4 case fans, 2 in my power supply, and 1 on the cpu, so i have a pretty loud computer. i'm going to insulate it this summer if i ever get bored enough.

kfc469 said:
ok, i had this problem and it was the graphic card fan. take out your graphics card and then turn on your comp. let it sit for a while and see if that is your problem. if not, when your computer starts making that noise, open it up and unplug your cpu fan, with the computer still on. wait for the fan to stop, see if the sound stops, and then immediately turn off your comp or plug your fan back in. if you still haven't found the problem, put in a different hd, or just unplug your current one and see if the sound stops. if none of those are the problem, then the sound is most likely coming from your power supply. to test this, you can stick a paper clip just inside of the power supply, just enough to stop the fan, and see if that stops the sound.

Eh.. I strongly recommend you don't unplug the CPU fan while it's running. By the time the fan stops, the CPU will most likely be fried or extremely over heated.

CrazeD said:
Eh.. I strongly recommend you don't unplug the CPU fan while it's running. By the time the fan stops, the CPU will most likely be fried or extremely over heated.

werd, dn't unlpug the cpu fan.

im curious to see how this thread gets resolved. I have a loud PC too, im contemplating on getting a new case/fans.

Also, my case is stripped, cheap plastic...

CrazeD said:

if your not overclocking, then it should not be a problem for about 10 seconds. ive done it to my comp before and it didnt cause any problems. and if you bought your comp from sombody(ie. dell) they have protection to auto-shutdown if they detect the the processor is getting to hot. if you still dont want to try that, then go buy a cheap fan, the're like $5 and try that. or if you have another comp, put the cpu from the problem comp into it and see if you get the same problems

Why not just disconnect all other fans/mechanical devices to see if it's the CPU fan?

CrazeD said:
Why not just disconnect all other fans/mechanical devices to see if it's the CPU fan?

well you cant stop the power supply fan for very long. holding something to hold back the fan will burn out the motor/make it overheat

Alright, it's definately the CPU fan that's causing the noise. It's not loud when it's cool (20-30º Celcius) spinning at around 3000RPM. But after using my comp for a while, it went to 38º C and about 5800RPM. There was a huge difference in sound between having the fan on, and having it off. But this was when I had all case fans off so maybe the air flow wasn't very effecient, allowing CPU temp to rise so quickly.

I'm not sure what a good solution could be. Cause a quieter fan would mean a slower fan right? And so temps will go higher as a result. Is there such a thing as a quiet, fast fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom