Horrible HDD to HDD transfer speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, definitely an 80 wire. Thanks for the pics to clarify.

And yes, this is a P4s8x motherboard. the chipset for setting up SATA confused me BAD. I could not even get it recognized even with the SATA drivers on disk, and then I hit CTRL-F to enter the setup utility and it said it detected the hard disk and recomended I run it in raid striped mode 0+1 (or vice versa). I only had the one hard disk in it when I set it up, and I took the recomended option and it installed the OS and is running great. After I had the OS and all my software installed I popped in the second HDD which was auto detected and runs fine until I try to do a HDD to HDD copy. I'm just giving more information in case it's relevant.
I'm running a chkdsk on the E drive now just to make sure it's ok.

So are you saying I should manually select the hard disks in the BIOS? Currently they are set to auto. I mean, I guess I could just slowly copy over all my data and pull out the HDD since I won't be using it in that PC, but I would like to solve the problem just for learning purposes.

Any help is appreciated, this motherboard was excellent and simple for me until I tried to setup a SATA drive.

If I update the IDE drivers for the P4S8X motherboard the 2nd HDD is no longer available. I tried running the "add hardware" wizard to get it to recognize the 2nd HDD with no luck. I used System Restore and have it back now as E:

If no one has any other ideas I'll just start slowly copying the data over and make this my last post.

Thanks for the help.

Hmm. Ok, in BIOS I show this:
Primary Master {auto} When I select it, auto is only option
Primary Slave {none}
Secondary Master {Lite-on DVDRW}
Secondary Slave {none}

I can't select anything else for primary slave or secondary slave. So the second HDD does not eve show in the BIOS now, yet it does in XP with extremely slow transfer rates.

Edited Here: I can select 'User Select HDD' and the highest UDMA setting is 6. When I selected that option the PC keeps rebooting.
Where would I setup the HDD, primary slave or secondary slave?

yeah 6 is the highest , my bad :eek: ,naturally you cant do anything with the primary/secondary slave thats cuz no device uses em , maxtor ide hds support udma6 so there shouldnt be an issue , and you should set it up from the primary master

theres one thing unclear , on the primary master it detects the ide hd or the sata one? (if it doesnt show its name then after you in it you can tell by the size..)

updating the bios might help

Thanks again for all the help, Jeremy.

The primary drive is detected as the SATA Maxtor drive. It doesn't say that, it says the size.

I had a VERY bad BIOS update experience. I'm pretty scared to try again. The BIOS version looks to be the orginal version with 4 updates after it was released. Yep, I'm getting the shakes just thinking about updating the BIOS........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom