Why All the Fuss about Conroe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because there were benchmarks released 6 months earlier. THOSE were the first batch of AM2 chips. These recent benchmarks are the finalization chips. They're as close as you're going to get to seeing what AM2 can do before AM2 actually comes out (not counting the pre-samples that are given to hardware sites like 2 days before. Those are basically the actual release chips). AM2 IS NOT a competitor to Conroe. Forget about it, give in, give up, whatever. Just stop the fanboyism that makes you say that AMD stands a chance against Conroe.

apokalipse i think you should lock this thread and see if you can get the admins to beef up the curse filter to include anything that preaches of conroes superiority. i am unashamedly an AMD fanboy for life but i don't let that get in the way of logic. as myself and apokalipse have said repeatedly in various threads none of you can claim to know the future so keep quite. i don't mind any of the talk about conroe and its "apparent" advantages. what i do care about is that hardly a single person on this forum has realised that it still can not be confirmed, nor can any possible advances AMD may add to their manufacturing process between now and conroe's release. talk all you want about conroe but just make sure it is clear that you are not speaking confirmed facts. there are many impressionable new forum members and we don't need people perpetuating Intel's already considerable marketing.

magouster said:
And how do you know the AM2 benchmarks weren't run on first version AM2 chips, before the proper revisions were made. AMD might have something up their sleeve, and decided to keep it under wraps! I'm not saying the Conroe isn't going to whip some AMD a$$, I'm just saying don't throw AMD away just yet as worthy competitiors! Its been said a 1000 times before, we cannot, and must not, make any judgements before the chips are released!
Because of what GR said, and aside from that, lets just say that they were not totally done revising it. There is no core revision that can make up for such an utter lack of performance, like I said earlier.

Pretty sure you all remember when Intel was the top of the market and AMD was the scum of the earth? Look at the upset that happened there, look at ATI vs nVidia, nothing is set in stone in the computer market, **** intel could loose 50% of sales in a year if AMD pulls something out good enough.

Just look at it this way, Life changes, dont fight it, accept it. =)

Yes things can change but in the CPU world, products are planned well in advance. I love AMD but it seems that intel will hold the crown for at least several months. However, lets side away that that particular argument. Do any of you know WHEN the conroe is comming out? Thanks,

Grog

AMD has held performance dominance this round, and Intel with the conroe is going to hold performance dominace next round.

Doesnt get any simpler.

apokalipse said:
I know "anything" is not possible, but that is not what I meant. I meant that we can't predict the future. unless mankind makes some major breakthroughs in Quantum Physics, that won't change.

nothing is 100%, and there is no such thing as perfection. yes, Conroe will probabbly be on top upon release. but that being said, that is also not 100%. if conroe wins, and yes it probabbly will on release, we don't know for how long.

I'm not even going to argue with you any further.
also, I am close to locking this thread

Ok, Apokalipse, you have to listen to me very carefully. Pay attention for a second, alright? AMD has said that the next thing it will bring out will be the K8L revision to the architecture. NOTHING unplanned is going to happen, you got that? When was the last time something happened in the CPU world that we didn't know about atleast 6 months in advance? By the time AM2 comes out, we will have known about it for atleast one year. We learned about Conroe about 9-10 months before it's release. The same thing happened with the Socket 754 and Socket 939 Athlon 64s, we knew about them almost a year before they came out. H3ll, we know Intel's roadmap for the next 4 years!

Those that pay attention will know about these things even before the mainstream crowd catches on. Thats where K8L comes in. THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT AMD IS RELEASING IN THE NEXT ONE AND A HALF YEARS. Now K8L may or may not beat Conroe, like you people have been falsely babbling about Conroe, we know next to nothing about K8L. So I'm not trying to start arguments about "Omg, K8L with be teh pwnzor to Conroe." Take your own advice about there not being any facts, and keep your mouths shut about K8L until you know more.

My point is; AMD isn't going to bring out any magic processors that will suddenly take over the CPU world. You've already admitted, Apokalipse, that Conroe will beat the Athlon 64 quite badly, but weren't sure for how long. Well, now I've told you; One and a Half years.

boomstick666 said:
Bat least i hope AMD wont go bunkrupt and bought by Dell and stuff.

Dell would not buy AMD...Dell is a computer maker, not a processor maker. Its like MonarchComputerSystems buying out Intel...not going to happen. If anything, Intel would buy out AMD. But don't worry, thats not about to happen either, though I cannot see any reason to buy AMD CPUs for the next 2 years except for the IMC.

magouster said:
You like the whole "SET IN STONE" thing, don't you Radience? Much the same type of argument you used in another thread about DX10. I like performance as well, I USED TO RUN INTEL SYSTEMS UNTIL I BOUGHT THIS ONE! I'm not some frustrated little American 16-year-old (no offence intended to others) who reads things on the net, and then conveniantly closes his mind to all further rational and adult discussion. Personally, I wish Conroe falls on its arse with some major recall or something, not cause I'm an AMD fanboy, but just to see you make a fool of yourself.

Apokalipse, I think you can close this thread now, its obviously a waste of bandwidth and time!

You relish in insulting me (like a frustrated 16 year old who has closed his mind to his own fanboyism, I might add) but you have not provided any proof or facts to support your side of the argument. I don't care how old you are, grow up.

nitestick said:
I am unashamedly an AMD fanboy for life but i don't let that get in the way of logic.

nitestick said:
As myself and apokalipse have said repeatedly in various threads none of you can claim to know the future so keep quite.

First of all, its spelled "Quiet." Then, you obviously haven't been paying much attention to your beloved AMD as you should, eh? I hope your read my little shpeel above about K8L, and how magical CPUs don't just pop up out of nowhere.

nitestick said:
I don't mind any of the talk about conroe and its "apparent" advantages.

Oh-My-God, you're STILL stuck on that? Even your buddy Apokalipse has realised the complete dominance that Conroe has over the Athlon 64! How much of a fanboy can you BE?! You've totally closed your mind to everything Conroe. Have you not seen the 2.7GHz Conroe that beats a 3.6Ghz FX-60? APPARENT ADVANTAGES?! Yes, they're as apparent as the nose on your face!

nitestick said:
What i do care about is that hardly a single person on this forum has realised that it still can not be confirmed, nor can any possible advances AMD may add to their manufacturing process between now and conroe's release. talk all you want about conroe but just make sure it is clear that you are not speaking confirmed facts. there are many impressionable new forum members and we don't need people perpetuating Intel's already considerable marketing.

What I DO care about, is that you and your buddy haven't realised that there is nothing AMD can do in less than a month to increase AM2's pathetic DDR2 performance, and still have their processors ready for release.

003 said:
There is no core revision that can make up for such an utter lack of performance.

Indeed.

grogthegreat said:
Yes things can change but in the CPU world, products are planned well in advance.

Thank You.

Green Radience said:
Have you not seen the 2.7GHz Conroe that beats a 3.6Ghz FX-60? APPARENT ADVANTAGES?! Yes, they're as apparent as the nose on your face!

I've never heard of a FX60 OCed to 3.6GHz. Show me that benchmark, I would love to see it. The last benchmark I saw was a Conroe 2.7 OC to 3GHz, and a FX60 OC to 3GHz, and the Conroe beat the FX in most tests, but not in all. Not as big a margin as you'd like to advertise.

I should once again point out that I'm not trying to argue Conroe's power, I just don't think AMD will let Intel have their way with the market for a full 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom