Office printing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbc

Banned
My office has been struggling with a probably not unique printing problem. The office has fifty individuals three directors and one senior director. Some of the people have desk jet printers on their desk and some rely on printing on the network, in which case the printer (typically a laser) is in the hallway. The problem is that the office is spending some serious dollars on print cartridges and toner. I would not like to admit the sum the office is spending on the consumables. What advice can you give to help hold down consumable costs?

my company once went cheap on hp cartridges. We noticed poor quality and bad toner level reporting. We've since switched back to buying hp cartridges.

Any ideas? A pal suggested once gathering all of the printers into one large room and having none on the individual desks.

having no desk printers is a good start. Inkjets are insanly expensive. The laser printers depending on the machines can be pretty easy to help cut cost. You can buy a Laser color now for $1500 and it's network ready. Sure the upfront is high, but it's the long run that matters. I'd suggest the following:

No Inkjets.
If a personal is needed, only allow black and white, MiniLaser printer.
Get 1 or 2 Color Laser printers and set them up so they allow good traffic flow.
Then you only have to support those printers and the costs will go down pretty quick.

for yearly maintence for a color laser doing 20K sheets/year, you looking at about $600-1200 per year average. Price can vary based on a few factors. For a B/W laser, your about $300-600 depending on some factors.

There are a lot of factors to take in, but in the end, Laser is the only way to go. Ink printing should only be in the home, and that will only last as long as laser is too expensive up front.

Good luck

I have often been told that the newer printers have lower cost per page costs. So if older printers are replace the costs will be significantly decreased.

We have over a 1000 users here and we use network printers mainly, of course laser and laser colour and it works out good cost per page. Also you should proberly implement something like print counter to come up with a price per department, this also filters out junk being printed as people will be more careful at what they are printing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom