My First Overclock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulater6000

Daemon Poster
Today after much guide reading, I did my first cpu overclock.

I curently have an AMD 3700+, MSI Neo4-F MoBo, and an MSI 500watt PSU.

Well anyway, I raised the FSB from 200 to 210, left the voltage where it was, and sucsesfuly raised my clock speed by .1ghz

Not much but I didnt want to push it my first time.

I lowered it back to its original speed when I was done, because Im on stock cooling and I dont trust my PSU enough to handle the delicate process of overclocking.

Please feel free to coment if you have any advice or noticed if I did anything wrong.

i pushed it so hard when i first OC my machine....and had to reset CMOS like 5 times a day...well at least i know my CPU and RAM limit is... as long as the temp is fine, you can OC as much as you want till it gets unstable. (but you want to keep the vcore voltage under 1.6v though..) you can go more than .1ghz OC w/ stock HS/F for sure. ive noticed that ppl are so afraid to OC their own comps. dont be so afraid to OC. it will shut itself off before it starts smoking anyway. do some more experiment (using ram divider, loosening ram timing, etc.) and have some fun!

Well when I was done overclocking I checked CPUz, and the core voltage was fluctuating in small incraments. I wasnt sure if was supposed to do that so I freaked out and changed it back.

Plus is my PSU (MSI 500watt turbomaster) stable enough for overclocking. I would much rather have an Antec, but I blew all my money on my Video Card.

It always does that. Don't worry nothing is wrong. My temps on stock cooling never hit above 40*C. Just keep the temps under 55*C prime95 load and voltages under 1.6V and your fine.

Well with my MSI 500 watt psu, MSI neo4-f motherboard, AMD 3700+ (2.2ghz stock), and stock cooling, and just the stock thermal pad.

My FSB right now is 200

How high could I raise it without changing the voltage or endangering my cpu?

How high could I raise it without changing the voltage or endangering my cpu?
There is no way to tell that information unless you are God himself. That primarily pertains to the 'without changing voltage' part, but as for the 'endangering CPU', well we CAN give you some info to that.

Don't go too far above 1.6v especially if you dont have good cooling. Even if you have really good cooling, I personally probably wouldn't go above 1.65 and even then that's pushing it a little bit. This wasn't a problem in the Athlon-XP days, but with the memory controller being on-die, raising the voltage too high can fry out the memory controller. Don't ask me how often that occurs though because I don't know.

Also, although it's cool that you're diving into overclocking, I wouldn't really consider it "My first overclock" when all you did was bump it up 10FSB for 5 mins then knock it back down.

When you claim an 'overclock' then it should be something you've raised, tested (prime95, gaming etc..) and is stable. THAT's an overclock. Anyone can knock up the FSB temporarily. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom