Windows XP Pro SP2/Free Anti-Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitokiriNate85

Solid State Member
I'm running XP Pro., and I've updated my PC from Microsoft's site, but tonight I noticed that I don't have a lot of the SP2 features listed(ex. Security Center). There isn't even a service pack listed under my system properties. Do I just not have one, or are things listed differently for Pro?

What's the best free anti-virus available?

Thanks.

Based on opinions...

I happen to like Avast Antivirus. Its free, easy to use, and picks up alot of viruses. Also wont kill your system memory-wise.

Did you make sure you downloaded SP2? Maybe it wasnt from MS update.

Yeah only download MS updates from their update site or via Automatic Updates. I would agree that AVG is probably the best free AV

I use Antivir Personal Edition
it's free, fast and very effective.

once, I had Norton Antivirus.
it took at least 4 hours per scan, and found no viruses
I then installed Antivir, it took about 10 minutes to scan, and found 26 viruses (just after Norton scanned the system)

I've never looked back since...

Currently there's a checkbox in the top of the Add/Remove Programs window that let you choose if you want to see updates or not, and disabled is it's default state. This is actually very convenient, since the program list would eventually get too big with all those updates, making it difficult to see what was actually installed software and what was just new hotfixes.

The best free anti-virus for Windows is AVG for sure. Too bad Microsoft removed the link to it from the Security Center recommended free anti-virus list. Check http://free.grisoft.com/ for downloading instructions. Avast! is cool, but it does conflict with other software, specially games, that means it's no good for home use at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom