UpGrading Ram on Older Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuggerTechie

Beta member
I went through a major ordeal to upgrade a MEW-MA Asus board from Millinieum to Win 2000 Pro and updated all the drivers to work properly in win 2000, but in my hast I didn't pay attension to the Ram Speed settings.........I went from 128mb ram 100mhz with speed settings of 3226 and found I could max out at 512 mb of ram and bought Muschin replacement Ram (2 x 256mb) 100 mhz but speeds of CL2 or 2226. When I first started with both sticks of 256MB of ram I got the BSOD with errors of Non-ACPI compliant Bios........After trying different combos I found that, by still using the old 128mb ram in the 1st slot with one of the new sticks of ram it booted, but no way was I able to get the two (2) NEW STICKS of ram to boot together. After endless serching webbsites for a possible solution, I'm stumped.....:eek:
I even loaded the latest and greatest Bios I could find from HP 2.05 to 2.10....not much of an improvement.......So my question to ya'll is there a way to get both new sticks of 256 mb of ram to work together? and boot?

I don't know why that won't work, Is it
upgrade a MEW-MA Asus board
or is it MEW-AM? Ok maybe a better question why do you need so much ram with that old of a computer? What is it a 500 mhz? And If you have 256mb XP would be a better choice it will work very well on that system.

Your Right......it is an Older MEW-AM Asus Board HP 8756c Model with a PIII 850 mhz processor with on Board Graphic Controller.......and was thinking about upgrading to a Graphics Card 256mb or less PCI card to free up even more Ram for processing..........The reason is it's an upgrade for an older retiree that Only looks at the webb and downloads catalogs to view on PDF format and checks their e-mail......because they were still using dial-up and are thinking about switching to Broadband finally, so they're not waitting for ever.............on downloads.......
The Older Ram was pc100, but the timings were 3226, while the Muschkin Memory was pc100 also but at 100mhz the timing for the ram was 2226 instead of..........this is my dilemia, not to mention the Win 2000 Pro is already purchased and I'm trying to make it work faster than the previous Mellinium software with 128 mb ram...........
Here is the timings of both Older stick of Ram and the Newer sticks from sandra program.......

Memory Module 1 >
Manufacturer: Hyundai Electronics
Model: 7V651601BTFG-10S
Serial Number: 4E109135
Type: 128MB SDRAM
Technology: 16x(8Mx8)
Speed: PC100U 3-2-2-6
Version: 1.2
Date of Manufacture: Friday, December 25, 2054
Set Timing @ 100MHz: 3-2-2-6
Set Timing @ 83MHz: 2-2-2-6

< Memory Module 2 >
Type: 256MB SDRAM
Technology: 16x(16Mx8)
Speed: PC100U 3-3-3-6
Version: 1.2
Date of Manufacture: Saturday, December 25, 1999
Set Timing @ 125MHz: 3-3-3-6
Set Timing @ 100MHz: 2-2-2-6

Now you might be able to see my delima............trying to get the two (2) TO WRK TOGETHER.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom