Hard Drives and RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmmmm, sounds good, 2 raptors in a raid, for programs and os, then a seprate 200gb hdd for files, yea, i like that idea

RicoDirenzo said:
That will equate to a single 500 gig drive in RAID 0. I have done that on an intel system and I have so many progrmas installed my program menu in startup has a second page........only 18% of the drive is used!!! So, when I built my gamer system I used two 36 gig raptors in RAID 0 with a 100 gig Sata Backup drive. My system is now as fast as any SCSI server. OMG! What a difference Raptors make in RAID 0. BTW...sorry but just because you add drives to RAID doesn't double the potential failure rate etc. That is totally illogical and not supported by any drive manufactureres statistical assessments of RAID drive failure issues and it is a totally easy issue to overcome....2 SATA dives in RAID 0 witht he third in RAID 5. :)

I was talking about RAID0, where every drive you add to it means that the chance increases by that amount of losing all your data if one fails, the chance of one failing is the same as before, but it is spread across several hdd. Also, RAID5 is slow... Use the third drive as a pure back up of your data (maybe have the PC set to do a back up once a week automatically.)

I also have a question about Raid. Let say you build your computer with only one HDD but later on you want to add a Second one in Raid 0 then add a 3rd HDD later on in Raid 5. Would you have to reformat every time?

Yes you will have to format. RAID 5 is very slow though so I do not reccomend that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom