Processor Installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty111

Solid State Member
Ok, i've been a member for a while, had a few useful things answered on here, finally got round to ordering my first build.

Specs are as follows

ASUS A8N32-SLN.
AMD 4200X2
Artic Cooling 64 pro (hope it fits)
300gb Maxtor SATA
Sapphire ATI X850
1gb crutial unbuffered ram
Optical and Floppy drive
Power Suppy and Thermaltake Tsunami Case

Should be arriving tomorrow, and i'm confident i can put it all together, only thing i'm shaking over is installing my fairly expensive processor. I'm so worried about breaking pins. I have a fairly steady hand. Just wondering if anybody has any advice, I.E-- should i look at it from above and lower it with two fingers. Should i look at the pins from the side with my eyes at the same height!?!?! Attach one side two a piece of string and lower and raise it until it slots in nicely?

Any advice would be great, I expect i'm over bothering with horror stories. But if anyone would like to give a few tips it would be good. Thanks

If you just be careful and line the processor up with the socket it should just slide in, if you have to force it, it's not fitting right and you're gonna bend some pins. Should you bend a pin or two then, if you have a craft knife and you feel comfortable with it, use the craft knife to bend the pins back into place. I did that with a an Intel 478 socket and it worked just fine. And make sure you lift the socket lever up first then slide the cpu in then push the lever back down.

If it dosent go in the first time, get a hammer and try banging it in....better yet if you bought the wrong socket, take some vice grips and take off the needles you dont need! :p

Make sure you get some alcohol and rub off the stock cooler on the stock heatsink, unless your using somthing else...

Also installing a cpu is a NO FORCE INSERTION process....make your you look at the arrow on the bottom right, line it up with your mother board and go slow...

Also I do not reccomend what kaname suggest with the craft kife...bad idea. Maybe with a old pentium 3....

Also make sure it goes all the way in....

good luck :D

Its not called a ZIF-socket for nothing! (Zero Insertion Force). You'll see a marking on the corner of the CPU chip, that should match the socket on the Mobo as well. Lift the retention clip lever on the mobo, slip the CPU in (and it really should just slip in, no need to even press on it), and put the lever back down if you are sure the CPU is in fully. Simple! :D

As far as looking from above or from the side, do whichever you prefer ... AMD's come with PICTURE instructions.... It would be VERY difficult to get it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom