slow harddrive delete time

Status
Not open for further replies.

printf("help")

Beta member
mobo : ASUS A7N8X 2.0 nForce2
File System : NTFS
Harddrive : Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120Gb 7200rpm ATA133

Problem : It takes almost a minute for me to delete any file in my Harddrive. The file can be as small as 2k. When it is deleting, windows freeze just like it is in full load.

Any idea what causes the problem?

yes i think your MBR has either been infected with a virus or is corrupted. i had this happen once, very nasty. goto my computer and right-click on each of your disk drives and select "properties". click the tools tab, error checking, "check now". i would also get a virus-scanner like NAV2004 or mcafee virusSCAN and do a complete system scan. here is a picture:

Attachments

• hl.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 27
yes, error-check solve the problem partially. Now the system does not freeze when I delete a file, but the harddrive still crank very hard for about a minute before it rest.

I've scanned my system for virus with a online virus scanner (housecall from trend.com). Nothing is found.

the second part of my solution which i strongly urge you to try is this. backup that data on another hard disk, zip disk, floppys, CD's, ect. disconect your backup device (to prevent accidental deletion of your backup files). delete all partitions and recreate your old partition structure.

reinstall your OS & copy your data back from your backup device. there may be an easier way, but data to me is very important, too important to have them sit on a hard disk with corrupted partitions.

that cranking is either caused by corrupted partitions or your hard disk is experiencing emminent hard disk failure. thats another reason for you to backup now, you risk losing all your data if it should fail soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom