modifying stock AMD cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazzer3

In Runtime
Hi Guys,

this may seem a tad n00bish but would it be possible/okay to replace the fan on the stock AMD cooler, (AMD 4200/3800+ X2), with a better one? And if so how much of a difference would it make?

Thanks,

Charlie-

This is mainly to reduce noise, but a performance increase is never a bad thing!!!

Yes you can change the fan. This will void your warranty on the cpu however. Depending on what fan you get you will see a decrease in temp of about 4-10c

Might I reccomend either the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, Zalman 7000 or 9500, Thermaltake XP-120 (with a fan) or the Scythe Ninja (with a fan).

lazer_viking said:
i've got a few questions. i didn't feel like starting a new thread (i've started my share of new threads for this week).

what is a safe max. tempurature for my CPU? right now its 32c idle and 57c under load, but im thinking this is a tad too high. anyone think this is dangerous?

also, can you increase volatage to a vid card? and what is a safe max. temp for the gpu? the highest i've ever seen my gpu get to was 51c and i know gpu's are rated a lot higher than cpu's temp. wise.

thanks, system spec are in sig.

Sorry to the thread starter :p

A safe temp for teh CPU on idle would be anywhere from -3030303030C to 35-40C. Load would be 50-60C. This if we're talking AMD and stock cooling.

The video card would be around 30-40C idle and 50-60C for a regular video card, but the 6*** series which have overheating problems any where up to 90C and lower

Yes you can change the fan. This will void your warranty on the cpu however.

Put the old fan back, and they would never notice anything, if they ask you were cleaning the dust off :D

haha. i just deleted my post beceuase i thought it was rude to barge in on someone elses post like that..... o well too late. anyway, is it possible to suppy more voltage to the GPU?

wow no one was blessed with my reading skills
this may seem a tad n00bish but would it be possible/okay to replace the fan on the stock AMD cooler, (AMD 4200/3800+ X2), with a better one?

apparently he wants to replace the fan not the HSF. really i don't think its worth it. the fan provided is actually a delta fan (at least mine is, i'm not sure if they use several manufacturers). either replace the whole HSF or don't bother. you would probably have trouble finding a fan to fit anyway unless you wanted to get ghetto and perhaps zip tie down an 80mm. that wouldn't be so effective though as it wouldn't form as close a seal with the fins as the stock fan

do you want to replace the fan, or the whole cooler?
PZEROFGH said:
A safe temp for teh CPU on idle would be anywhere from -3030303030C to 35-40C. Load would be 50-60C. This if we're talking AMD and stock cooling.
the lowest temperature possible is zero Kelvin, which is about -273.15°C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom