Looking for advice on buying RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

raveren

Solid State Member
Hello I am in desperate need of upgrading my ram, but I kinda suck at hardware. Could someone point me in the right direction, I don't know what freq and memmory size should I buy.

My mobo CANYON: CN-7V4A. It's flashed with the newest bios available (in downloads) and I've 2x256 ram already installed. I wasn't able to find out the frequency of these though, which tests can tell you that? All I tried skipped that.

Thank you for your help and comments in advance :)

your motherboard can hold up to 3GB RAM

and anyway, you shouldn't worry about the frequency being 166MHZ. that's just DDR333, or PC2700 speeds. the system won't be noticably slower than if you had DDR400, unless you are really pushing it.

I don't think you can get new RAM designed for DDR333 now, but DDR400 RAM wil still work. it will just run a bit slower.

So you would recommend ddr400 freq? Ok and how about the size, AFAIK there could be problems using different-sized memories at the same time?

edit:I'd personally want 1GB

Right thank you all, that's all I needed to know, I'm off to the store now :)

what RAM do you have in there ATM?
if it's less than a 512MB stick, I'd recommend replacing it with 2 x 512MB sticks. DDR RAM is not too expensive nowadays, as it will eventually be replaced. DDR2 is out now, although not yet supported by AMD. and DDR3 might come into the market after some time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom