Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brtnboarder495 said:
I'd say iBooks are for the more casual-user, definitely not for intense work stuff or multi-tasking.

Hey now :p I don't consider myself a "casual user"
I'm more of a Pro-user on a budget :laughing:

*hugs my iBook tightly* :p

Actually, neither is better, truely....

Q1. Is it hard to switch from PC to Apple??
Nope, but you may miss a wide selection of software....and the start menu.....
You can try linux with a GNOME interface to get a feeling of mac..

Q2. wat programs do they come with? (anything with music making??)
Dont think it really comes with anything...unless ilife qualifies.....
Cakewalk still makes the best apps but they are unfortunately for windows machines....same thing with fruity loops...and a bunch of other professional apps...
I guess you could look into GarageBand...

Q3. Dose apple really Crash less then PC?
Nope.
Nope, if by pc you mean windows....then....
If you configured your users properly and restricted permissions.....and didnt log into the administrator....err...primary account for day to day use....then windows should of been as stable as ever....
On average....I would have to say that in my normal day....mac os crashes more.....progs like safari, and photoshop crash a lot....especially on the g4s at skewl...
I have it on my homebuilt machine, and safari is the only thing that regularly crashes.....and system settings...

I'm going to have to disagree with almost everything you said:
shdwsclan said:
Q1. Is it hard to switch from PC to Apple??
Nope, but you may miss a wide selection of software....and the start menu.....
You can try linux with a GNOME interface to get a feeling of mac..
Don't think most GNOME configurations feel or act anything like Mac OS X at all. And I'm typing this from GNOME right now.

Q2. wat programs do they come with? (anything with music making??)
Dont think it really comes with anything...unless ilife qualifies.....
Cakewalk still makes the best apps but they are unfortunately for windows machines....same thing with fruity loops...and a bunch of other professional apps...
I guess you could look into GarageBand...
Saying that Cakewalk makes the best apps is TOTALLY an opinion. There are plenty of other professional options, plenty of which are available for Mac, some of which are actually Mac-only. Garageband is a different catagory of applications, but yes, it comes with any Apple computer you buy right now, so I suppose you can consider it free. It's not a professional application, but I suppose it has its place.

Q3. Dose apple really Crash less then PC?
Nope.
Nope, if by pc you mean windows....then....
If you configured your users properly and restricted permissions.....and didnt log into the administrator....err...primary account for day to day use....then windows should of been as stable as ever....
On average....I would have to say that in my normal day....mac os crashes more.....progs like safari, and photoshop crash a lot....especially on the g4s at skewl...
I have it on my homebuilt machine, and safari is the only thing that regularly crashes.....and system settings...
What's are the configurations and versions of the software/OS on your school's system? I've seen Safari crash maybe once. On the other hand, apps in OS X seem to decrease in stability when you don't have much RAM. Anyway, OS X tends to shut down a none responding application more easily than Windows. Still not as easily as pretty much any Linux system I've used, though (which, if configured decently, easily beats out Windows and Mac OS in stability).

yeah run xkill and click on the program and it disappears immediately lol

screw that nonsense with the task manager and it says end now but it doesnt really end now and all that pish posh

the general said:
yeah run xkill and click on the program and it disappears immediately lol

screw that nonsense with the task manager and it says end now but it doesnt really end now and all that pish posh
Who needs xkill? :D
Code:
kill -9 [pid]

Don't think most GNOME configurations feel or act anything like Mac OS X at all. And I'm typing this from GNOME right now.

I guess you haven't opened the folder structure through the gui....all psuedo folders.....doesnt look anything like the linux root does..it....hmm....it looks more closely to the folder structure of mac....doesnt it...

KDE gives you a full root structure....no wierd psuedo folders....

Saying that Cakewalk makes the best apps is TOTALLY an opinion. There are plenty of other professional options, plenty of which are available for Mac, some of which are actually Mac-only. Garageband is a different catagory of applications, but yes, it comes with any Apple computer you buy right now, so I suppose you can consider it free. It's not a professional application, but I suppose it has its place.

So why does the industry prefer cakewalk products...like sonar...
Ive know a couple people that work in actual recording studios....all use sonar....If it was bad, why would 7/7 studios i know, use sonar...

What's are the configurations and versions of the software/OS on your school's system? I've seen Safari crash maybe once. On the other hand, apps in OS X seem to decrease in stability when you don't have much RAM. Anyway, OS X tends to shut down a none responding application more easily than Windows. Still not as easily as pretty much any Linux system I've used, though (which, if configured decently, easily beats out Windows and Mac OS in stability).

10.4.6 fully updated.........
And this is a common problem.....
Not only at the school, but also the public lab at my friend's school. 2 completely different schools....
AND !, i also tried at the apple store....
SAFARI crashed 3 times in 30 minutes at the apple store....

Ram in all comps tested was 512mb.
I doubt that this is the twilight zone if this can be repeated with normal surfing....
SUSE linux does beat windows and mac overall, but suse is stable...
For example, gentoo and ubuntu are horrible...a minor change, and you have to reinstall the system.....
But linux does have its own obvious weaknesses, which included the swap disk and cups....but the question wasn't about linux...
Ive have dreamweaver crash regularly on mac os...at least once in a day when used....
Also, i remember installing an update on mac os that completely brought it down....i had to reinstall mac os from scratch on my machine....

ALSO....This claim by apple is so hilarious....

" 13. No hunting for drivers.
Just plug in your stuff. A Mac includes USB drivers for mass storage, digital cameras, input devices, iPod, and more. It can see Bluetooth cell phones and headsets, as well as FireWire cameras. No rebooting. More"

NO HUNTING FOR DRIVERS BECAUSE NO DRIVERS EXIST...LOL....
Hilarious........

There are actually more drivers on windows and suse than there are on mac os....

"How much time have you spent troubleshooting your PC? Imagine a computer designed by people who hate to waste time as much as you do. Where all the hardware and software just works, and works well together. Get a Mac and get your life back"

Try troubleshooting a mac......
You'll be in that console all day....with no built in tool, or libraries that a linux system should have.....
Hilarious....
Even worse....if you a noob with no unix console experience...or dont even know the terminal exists in the mac....
Hilarious....

I got these off the mac os web site.....
Its pretty sad on how apple tries to attack....just by attacking microsoft...apple shows that they are worse....
MS and linux have honor...because neither tries to match each other using half-truths....
Its like watching those funny political commercials where politicians attack each other on the most childish of things....

shdwsclan said:
I guess you haven't opened the folder structure through the gui....all psuedo folders.....doesnt look anything like the linux root does..it....hmm....it looks more closely to the folder structure of mac....doesnt it...

KDE gives you a full root structure....no wierd psuedo folders....
It takes me all of two seconds to see the full root structure in my file manager, I don't know what you're talking about. Anyway, who needs to browse folders through that? That's one of the areas I find using a terminal over a GUI file-browsing system to be significantly more efficient.

Anyway, two things. Just because the Finder's default view setup makes the Unix root tree less immediately accessable for the average user does not mean it isn't there, and doesn't make it any less valuable (minus the slightly annoying fact that they make certain UNIX-isms so by not using them, such as /etc). Moreover, if GNOME does a similar thing to the immediate view of the folder structures, it doesn't automatically mean that the whole user interface suddenly feels like Mac OS X!

So why does the industry prefer cakewalk products...like sonar...
Ive know a couple people that work in actual recording studios....all use sonar....If it was bad, why would 7/7 studios i know, use sonar...
One, I never said Cakewalk was bad. They make great software. I just said it's not the only thing available, nor is it by any means the only thing professional recording studio's use. Besides, to get back on the thread's subject, considering the original poster vaguely suggested 'music making software', I don't think he needs (or would want to spend money on) something quite at this level.

10.4.6 fully updated.........
And this is a common problem.....
Not only at the school, but also the public lab at my friend's school. 2 completely different schools....
AND !, i also tried at the apple store....
SAFARI crashed 3 times in 30 minutes at the apple store....
I don't know. All I can say is I've used Safari plenty and have rarely experienced crashes. Interestingly, the last time I used a computer at the Apple Store, I opened Chess and it crashed. No idea.

SUSE linux does beat windows and mac overall, but suse is stable...
For example, gentoo and ubuntu are horrible...a minor change, and you have to reinstall the system.....
Seriously? I run Gentoo, I haven't had to reinstall the system for anything, and I've made quite a few minor, and even a couple major, changes. Sounds like you weren't quite sure of what you were doing if that's the case...

But linux does have its own obvious weaknesses, which included the swap disk and cups....but the question wasn't about linux...
How is SWAP really a weakness? It's managed much better than Windows' pagefile. When I had Windows on this machine, it would have a sizable pagefile in use when there was over 150 MB of free ram (out of 512). My Linux system doesn't really touch the SWAP unless the physical RAM is used. Windows has been off this computer for over a year now.

NO HUNTING FOR DRIVERS BECAUSE NO DRIVERS EXIST...LOL....
Hilarious........
Ridiculing for no reason weakens your post...

There are actually more drivers on windows and suse than there are on mac os....
Why do you keep substituting Linux with SuSE? I'm pretty sure there are no exclusively-SuSE drivers that you can't use on other Linux systems.

Try troubleshooting a mac......
You'll be in that console all day....with no built in tool, or libraries that a linux system should have.....
Hilarious....
Even worse....if you a noob with no unix console experience...or dont even know the terminal exists in the mac....
Hilarious....
I think the idea is that you shouldn't have to troubleshoot much more than a preference in a program or a 'force quit'. Whether this is true or not is arguable, but you're misreading the point. And stop with the ridiculing, it's a campaign, what do you expect them to say?

Its pretty sad on how apple tries to attack....just by attacking microsoft...apple shows that they are worse....
MS and linux have honor...because neither tries to match each other using half-truths....[/B]
Are you joking? First thing, Microsoft attacks Linux ALL THE TIME. Have you seen things like their "Get the facts" campaign? They don't attack Apple because it's not really a threat to their desktop market share. On the other hand, open source software in the server market has been worrying them a lot. They've also attacked Google lately. And expect them to majorly attack iTunes and the iPod when they get their act together in the digital music market. Microsoft has no more honour than Apple.

Linux on the other hand, isn't a corporation at all, it's done largely by a global community of volunteer programmers. There are companies involved, but it's definitely not centralized. It's totally different. Some groups/individuals involved have plenty of honour, some have very little. Try not to make too many generalizations about Linux.

Anyway, we're getting way off topic here.

i like how qiranworms was right about everything lol

i was about to explode reading the first post, but qiranworms said everything i had to say and more :p

edit: oh other than safari does crash repeatedly when useing myspace.com

but who goes to that website anyway?

the internet doesnt protect me from the STDs they carry there lol

the general said:
i like how qiranworms was right about everything lol

i was about to explode reading the first post, but qiranworms said everything i had to say and more :p
Thanks for that. It's always nice being agreed with. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom