Building A Laptop: Need Your Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardnovak77

Solid State Member
hey, as the topic implies, i'm trying to build a laptop. i know, i've heard it all. if you don't want to help, please refrain from negatives comments. i know how hard it's going to be, and i'm ready to try anyhow. it's just the way i am.

first off, are there any good books about pc repair or building which are laptop specific?

next, i want to start off with something old/simple, like a p2 pr p3 system. something cheap so when i frag it, i won't be so mad :)

and finally, good old advice... other than "quit!"

thanks!

Do you have an idea on how you're going to do this? I never thought it would be possible and it's nice to see that someone is actually willing to try. Let me know how it all turns out - I'm sure everyone would rather build a laptop than a desktop. And if you wouldn't mind, post your plan on how you think you can accomplish this, and how far you are at this point. Have you bought any parts yet or are you just reading up on it before attempting?

currently i'm just reading up on stuff. i'm a lightwave 3d buff but i'm also in the military, so i need a really powerful system which is also mobile.

i saw something online where this class put together some working computers in milk cartons or some such thing. my plan is to build a system with desktop components in a custom mobile case. it would utilize some components from laptops to conserve space. even if it fits into a full-size briefcase, at least i can pack it with me to my tdy points easier than a full desktop.

so, that's pretty much where i am right now...

:)

If you want a small portable computer. I would think about a mini-ITX system. Check out this site http://www.mini-itx.com/. They have some fascinating projects. Being in the military, you might be interested in the ones built into a .50 cal ammo can.
I wish you the best in your project. I think you will find everything you are looking for (as far as ideas go) at this site.
-Target

from what i have seen there are parts everywhere to build your own laptop so this isn't something that is rarely done. the only problem is when you add u the cost for everything including, case shell, cpu, video chipset, ect it ends up costly more than if you just find a good pent4 laptop.

is that heatsink just for the cpu on that ITX mobo? what the hell is that?

That is for passive cooling. The heat sink is probably cooling several components on the motherboard and there will probably be no fan on it. That thing is 12 cm by 12 cm which is under 5 inches X 5 inches!!! That is small.

Here is the ammo can PC. Keep in mind this is a small ammo can. It just holds 100 .50 cal rounds. Its not one of the big 20 mm shell ammo boxes that we are used to seeing.

ammobox0011.jpg

ammobox0012.jpg

ammobox0013.jpg

ammobox0017.jpg

-Target

ekÆsine said:
from what i have seen there are parts everywhere to build your own laptop so this isn't something that is rarely done.

I've never seen any parts for laptops for sale except for HDD's and memory. The only way I can think of building a laptop on your own is to go the the Dell website and configure one you want and take note of the parts needed. Then call their spare parts department and order the parts individually so you can put it together yourself. That way you know all the parts will fit properly (unless you messed up somewhere). Dell also has service manuals on their site giving detailed isntructions on how to take apart their laptops; all you have to do it follow it working backwards.

i have another question:

does a video card have to be hooked up directly to the mobo, or can it be connected with some sort of ribbon cable?

thanks!

and that ammoputer is badass!

richardnovak77m
I think that ammo can computer is "bad" too. Its sturdy, waterproof (when lid is on) and a great conversation piece. Even UPS would have trouble damaging that puppy! LOL!

If you liked that Ammo can PC, check out this one: http://www.zapwizard.com/LANPC/
All-Night-SML.jpg

All-Day-SML.jpg

-Target

SEEK AND YEE SHALL FIND.....

I like the idea that youve decided to challenge yourself

Heres an idea i used when i tried to build a vareation of a Gameboy ADVANCE. Desing your ideal laptop from the inside out first, then reaserch parts based on your desing.

"You can dooiiiih!"

THE RAGE MASTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom