Current pc isn't cutting it. What should i upgrade for largest fps boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
Currently i have:

Jaton 7800gt 256mb graphics card with latest drivers

amd athlon 64 socket 939 3700+ processor

450 watt antec power supply

1 gig dual channel corsair ram
--------------------------------------------------------------

I currently get a 3dmark05 score of 6850 marks. While playing counterstrike i get down to the low 40's during gun fights, but it seems much lower and disables me from playing fully. I need to know what i can upgrade to boost my scores by a great amount. I am thinking that the graphics card could be replaced (it is a vanilla 7800gt clocked only at 400mhz/1.0ghz). I had another dell computer with the same card and different components that got the same score. I think that the card is hindering my performance. what do you guys think? should i upgrade to maybe a 7900gtx? I just hate it that the graphics card is so vanilla that it is getting pretty horrid 3dmark scores for its class.

Simple: BFC 7900GT: Oc'd with no temp increase to 550/1600. My 3500+ stock + 2 gigs of value RAM (Dual Raptors in RAID 0) runs 3DMark05 @9140!!! :)

Yea, 6850 is kinda low for a 7800GT. You should get a X1900XT, best price/performance in the high-end class. Should get you 10,000+ 3DMark05s.

Aah...I remember the good ol' days when 8000 3DMark05s were a big deal...

i'm no expert here but im running about the same except a 6800gt and 2gig ram and on CS:S i never drop below 80fps full settings.... i'd say first try more ram bit cheaper than a $500 gfx card

Sucks that my computer is noobing. So is it for certain that it is my graphics card? Shouldn't you guys know that i have a pci slot and not agp? Would going from my 7800gt to a evga 7900gt be worthwhile? How can i tell what is giving me such a choke? Perhaps it is my ram? Would upgrading to two gigs give me a definite boost?

I went to 3dmark's website and can say that my scores don't look too bad comparatively. Maybe i'm just too used to console gaming. I just don't know. I doubt that you stay above 80fps with a 6800. What is your 3dmark score?

i'd wait for someone elses opinion on this but i'd suggest adding an extra 1gig of ram....**** site cheaper than a new gfx card at least...

You *****ing about a 7800gt and counter strike source? WTF! i can see the problem if it was Fear ot BF2(where u need 2 gigs of ram.) but CS:S? lower the resolution, and turn down the graphics abit. I can run CSS with my 6600 gt at 1024x768 with every thing on high!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom