problems with laptop & problems with router

Status
Not open for further replies.

hutchygers

Solid State Member
i posted the following on a forum i regularly visit and they directed me to here.

firstly my laptop is the following: Acer Travelmate 4000

i downloaded updates from the official sites intel and acer for my specific laptop.

here is the page with them all of it: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_4000.html

the ones i downloaded from acer were-

Bios Ver. 3A10 for Intel graphic chips
Synaptics Touchpad Driver for Windows 2000 / WinXP Version 7.10.12
Texas Instruments PCI GemCore based SmartCard controller driver 1.0.1.13

from intel i downloaded a new wireless network controller program that is alot better than the windows default one.
i also updated my graphics drivers.

after flashing the new bios i think this is where everything has went wrong.it flashed fine and told me to restart but when i restarted my wireless network does not pick up my router anymore and my graphics options are not there instead it says 'string is missing' or something along those lines. I also am told there is new hardware found and the found new hardware wizard pops up telling me it is to install software for a mass storage controller.

a few moments ago the laptop was having difficulty even starting.It gets to the windows xp home load up screen then stays there and does nothing.

right now though it has scanned my c drive and is at the login screen and yet again is it telling me about the mass storage controller that needs installed.

does anyone have a clue what i can do or could you tell me about any people that would know.i just want to get rid of this annoying mass storage controller by either installing the needed drivers which i have no clue where they are or stopping it loading up completely.

the main issue though is my wireless network now seems to be fked and i do not know if this is due to the bios or not. if i plug my modem directly into the laptop the internet works fine but the wireless just refuses to work. i was up til around 7 in the morning trying to sort this. unplugging my modem and router. reinstalling them changing the ethernet cables around. whatever i try does not work.

its one of these annoying things that keeps you awake at night and ****es you off so as i said if you know or know someone who might know how to help me please let me know before i go bald .

UPDATE: this was earlier today i wrote the above at the present time i have sorted the bios issue by using system restore which has also restored all my defaults i had before downloading drivers from the sites i visited.

the only real big problem i have now is my wireless router will not work correctly. it is all hooked up the way it always has been and it worked fine until all this trouble with the laptop.

the only way i connect to the internet now is by using my cable modem connected directly to my desktop pc.

i tried connecting to the internet and detecting my router with my psp&laptop. Both did not detect the router.

i am looking for some help and advice on what i can do. if you need any more info then please inform me and if you reached this point then thanks for reading everything

unplug the modem and router for about 15minutes (A quick restart may work as well, but not always) Before turning it on make sure that the modem is connected to the router then plug them in, Try this and if it doesn't work go into network connections and refresh your connection.

Your modem gets attached shall we say to your ethernet card on the desktop and doesn't like the fact you tryed to get it to comunicate with the router instead. So that's why the restart should solve this, because it will now think the router is its best bud's , lol

flash i tried what you suggested but it just doesn't want to work.

here are a few pictures of my setup that may help somebody. these were taken when i had the modem&router setup so notice the lights that are on/off etc.

NTL modem & Origo Router

NTL modem lights- there are 7 lights in total from left to right:
Power, USB, Ethernet, U/S, D/S, SYNC, RDY- only the power, ethernet, sync and RDY lights are lit when my modem is connected to router.

Origo router lights-
this picture shows the power light on and the diag light is lit red. next to them is the WLAN lights ACT & LINK they are both not lit.

this picture shows the lights for all 4 ports and next to these set of 4x3 lights is the INTERNET LINK/ACT & 100 lights. 100 light is lit orange and LINK/ACT is green. 100 light on port 1 is lit orange and the other 2 lights are green for FUUL/COL & LINK/ACT

this is a picture of the wire setup at the back of both the modem and router- the top is the modem and you have the power then the USB(which is unused) and the ethernet port(which connects to the very first internet port you see on the router next to the reset part.on the router the 2nd ethernet port is the one which connects the desktop PC to the router. the 5th port along is the cable that connects my router to my PS2 and lastly the power supply can be seen.

this is a pic of the back of the modem-

picture of back of router-

i have no clue if this would help anybody help me. if not then i just wasted a good half hour taking pics and uploading them lol

Can you connect to the router with the internal IP? I have know Idea what thier's is (check the manual). Try unhooking the psp and reset the router with the reset hole. And try that.

is the internal ip the website you go to to get the settings and such?

it is http://192.168.1.1?

i cannot go there as the router does not let me connect to the internet at all on the laptop(as it doesn't find the router), on my psp(as it doesn't find the router) and also on the desktop as it says there is limited or no connectivity.

so the only way i can get on the internet is by connecting either computer directly to my ntl modem with the ethernet cable. as this is the only way then i cannot get on the ip website of the router :(

i have been sitting constantly testing it and changing ethernet cables around and swapping the ports i use around. still nothing works.

EDIT: when i push the reset button absolutely nothing happens the lights just stay as they were

That is an internal IP type http://192.168.1.1 in your browser of choice. You can have your modem unhooked all togeather it makes no difference its internal you are trying to connect to the router not the internet! (even though it may look like a web page it isn't it is the router's interface!) Just have an ethernet cable from one of the pc's to one of the lan ports of the router (unhook the rest) and you should be able to connect to the router if not and it won't reset and the ip is correct, and you went into network connections and refreshed your connecting (try it with both the laptop and desktop) (right click local area connection, and select repair) and it won't connect the router is NFG! Buy a linksys! another thought did you get the power cables mixed up on the modem and router?? That would do it!

i am going to buy a new wireless router as this one has been reported faulty by a guy on the website which was on the box it came with.

really need sugestions on what router to get as i don't have a clue. i have been looking most of the day at different sites but just can't decide what company to buy from and what type of router i want/need.

lol i read what you wrote.

the power cable from my modem does not even fit into my router and i cannot get on the internal address due to the router refusing to work.

thanks for the link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom