AMD processors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the AMD 3700+, and it seems to run any game out there along with my x1900xt.

Your GPU is more important for gaming than your CPU. My GPU is worth twice as much as my CPU.

before i upgraded to an Celeron 3.2 processor, i had a Athlon XP 2900+ OC'd to 2.4 ghz. that ran games like BF2, FEAR, Black and White 2 perfectly.

jordo_99 said:
so what's the difference between the AMD processors (ie. sempron, athlon...etc)

I'm looking at buying a processor for a cheap gaming build this summer and i dont' know what to go with.
we need to know a budget before we can recommend what to get

low budget:
Sempron / Sempron 64
they are not very expensive, but they are quite descent in terms of performance. they won't perform as well as Athlon 64's due to the lower amount of cache, but they have a higher performance / price

medium budget
single core Athlon 64
AMD's main line of processors currently. they are more expensive than Sempron's, though the prices are not through the roof unless you go for an FX series chip (which IMO is not worth the money)

highish budget:
Athlon 64 X2 / Opteron 165 or above (socket 939)
these dual core CPU's are the best chips out right now. they perform well in basically every aspect, including multitasking

I myself have a Sempron 2800+ (s754) at the moment. it's not hugely powerful, but it does everything I want it to right now.
I am pleased with how it's running, it runs completely stable even at 100% CPU load for very long periods of time (though that's probabbly because of the Thermaltake Sonic Tower I put on)

magouster said:
Can going from an Athlon XP 2900+ (?) to a Celeron 3.2, be considered a upgrade?

:D

well the 2900+ was clocked at 2.4 Ghz, the celeron is at 3.2Ghz.... i consider that an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom