Athlon X2 Cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipique

In Runtime
I was browsing over the specs of the various Athlon X2's, and I realized that the 4400 and the 4800 have 2MB L2 cache (2 x 1MB), whereas the others have 1MB (2 x 512k).

Are there circumstances when it would be better to have the 4400+ than the 4600+ because of the cache difference?

Dan

If you have absolutely no intention of OCing then the 4600+ will be better because 200mhz makes a bigger difference than the bigger cache

you can oc the 4400 to 4800 speeds on stock cooling so it's prob the best buy out of the x2 family.

you can oc the 4400 to 4800 speeds on stock cooling so it's prob the best buy out of the x2 family.

i disagree. i overclocked my 3800+ to past 4800+ speeds on the stock cooling. the 4600+ at stock speeds is clearly better than the 4400+ at stock speeds, hence the higher p-rating. once you start overclocking though its a whole different ball game. the 4400+ would be better value if overclocking

Thanks, just the info I was looking for.

Now, if I can just keep from drooling...

Dan

Found this on a website:

There have been situations in which a chip manufacturer will deliberately underrate a chip in response to market pressure. This results in an inexpensive component that (with a little extra voltage) is easily overclocked to match the speed of a more expensive component. One example is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (codename Toledo) processor, which was easily made as fast as the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, simply by increasing the voltage and clock speeds. Manufacturers will often sell these processors at 50% extra. Users can often easily overclock a component to above the highest settings a manufacturer will sell a component for.

I agree with John, no point with the 4200+ and 4600+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom