9600 instaling problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob-e

Beta member
hello..

i have an emachines pc 3230 that has an integrated graphics unit intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphics controller which is pretty crappy. i got a radeon 9600 pro from a freind for free to upgraded my comp and installed as follows..

uninstalled intel drivers, turn off comp, connect 9600 in the AGP slot, turn comp on enter BIOS setings n disabled the intel onboard. in the BIOS there is no option were u can select the AGP slot on or off just an option allowing u to select the MB of the card but left it on auto. save n exit. turn on comp and big black screen.... but when i turn the pc on i can still enter the BIOS settings when the monitor is pluged into the graphics card.

What is wrong? there is power to the card as the fan spins and the pc seems to load up normally into xp but there is just a black screen after the initial boot up and will not reach xp.. only bios
i have checked all connections and card in the slot but no change.

i would think my motherboard is compatable too as it has an AGP slot and the 9600 pro will support 4x 8x.
i have tried the card in another xp machine and that was fine...
so was thinking along the lines of the bios being disabled maybe by the OEM...
system info if needed

Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (28 x 100)
Motherboard Name MSI 6714 (3 PCI, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
System Memory 759 MB
BIOS Type Award (07/26/04)

help!! any ideas?

thankyou

It is rather strange that it will POST but do down after when Windows loads. Genereally, a driverless video card wil run in Windows with the bios "drivers". The fact that the mobo has a AGP slot is encouraging. Maybe your PSU can't handle the load. I would try to run a swapped out PSU(higher wattage rating) from another puter on that Emachines mobo to see if you can get past the POST before you go crazy! One option is to use your exiting case and hardware and just buy an new MOBO.

thanks for the reply...i got a 500w psu with 20 on the 12 rail replaced the old one a while back. it should have more than enough power to handle the card shouldn't it?
was hoping buying a new mobo wouldn't be the answer... than theres the hassle of backing up data and windows...reinstalling it lol. will windows even work with a new mobo installed coz its emachines.. is windows not recognising the card or is this the bios?
thanks

yer 478 seems a bit drastic tho a new mobo.... dunno if i could replace tht myself not tht very computer minded lol

Time to take the challange. It is not as complicated as you think. You can get all the advise you would need here. Or, give up on the use of the "free" video card and go back to what you had before. It is a challenge to try something new and it might actually be stressful and difficult...but....once yo have succeeded you don't have to worry about being at the mercy of some over charging "geek Squad". Anyway, hope it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom