Win XP activation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hefemeister

Lord Techie,
Ok my friends sony viao crashed and needed a clean install of win xp. I told him to bring over all of the disks that came with the computer. He gave me the box the computer came in and had no copy of win xp. He had his reg code on the windows sticker on the bottom of the computer. I had an oem copy of xp pro the same version he had a liscence for. It installed fine until it became time to activate it. It would not activate online. Can I just call microsft by phone and have them activate it? Thanks for the replies.

Yes you can. But since you used a OEM disc did it ask for a serial on install? I wouldnt think so. Most OEM's have the serial right on the install so it would be using the serial for your computer. Try changing the serial to his serial that is on his sticker and then see if it will activate. If not then call and telll them you had to format and it wont activate. They will guide you thru the process to activate.

Did you delete the repair partiton that is on all sony vio's?? His copy of xp was on the hdd in a repair partion and all you needed to do was go to sony tools and select advanced recovery and it would do everything for you,,,Anyway call MS and tell them what you did, They will know what you did when you give them the huge long number that comes up on the phone activation page.

yeah I did a repair off the repair partition but sony puts sooo much crap in with the os I wanted it clean. It did ask for a serial when I installed and I put his in. Thanks for the replies looks like I get to wait on hold to talk to Bill. Thanks again.

Wow of microsoft that was pretty easy. only 5 minutes on the phone and I could almost understant the cust rep. for once I am happy with microsoft. for as much of a pain in the but it is to reinstal they made the reactivation fairly easy.

The best part about it is, that code you entered that they gave you licened your key to that motherboard so the next time you format you will not have to call. Did you like the disclaimer question at the very first "how many computers have you used this copy on", lol

Just call Microsoft. Do not volunteer information but if they ask what you are doing, just say you reinstalled and this came up. Oh, and you HAVE IT INSTALLED ON 1 PC.

hefemeister said:
Wow of microsoft that was pretty easy. only 5 minutes on the phone and I could almost understant the cust rep. for once I am happy with microsoft. for as much of a pain in the but it is to reinstal they made the reactivation fairly easy.

I think he already has it fixed.

yep it is fixed. Only give them the info they ask for. when they said why did you reinstall I said virus and spy ware which was the truth. after that no problems. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom