Big Time PC Boot Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhavaldoshi11

Beta member
Hi Guys!
I've been using my computer since more than 2 yrs and 8 mths now.
Over a period of time, I have been suffering from a trecherous error that has given me sleepless night and I have lost all faith in PCs and Microsoft (which happens intermittently anyway).

The Problem:-

Suddenly, out of the blue, my computer will either restart while I'm doing something, or even if it's idle. It usually restarts itself when I have freshly booted the computer. It happends mostly when windows has been loaded and the desktop is just shown.

Initially, it used to give me a blue screen instead of restarting, since the past 1 year now it has only been restarting without showing me any blue screen

Solutions I've tried:- (Some on the advice of the dumb computer 'engineer')

1) Replacing the RAM with another computer's RAM
2) Checking the main power
3) Checking the UPS
4) Reinstalling Windows (in case its a software problem)

There seems to be no problem neither with my RAM, nor with my SMPS (or my main power source)

Typical Symptoms of my problem:-

> It restarts for approximately 7-8 times and then either boots properly or restart 1-2 times more before operating normally
> (Rarely) Sometimes, when I try to fix the cards in the slot properly or tighten some computer parts, the problem is solved
> If I have not used the PC for a long time, and I then it start again, the problem occurs then
> Many times, the power LED is always on and the monitor goes off and the power button on the cabinet doesn't respond (As in it stays on and I need to cut off the main power source)

Currently, I'm posting this from that same PC. God knows when next will I be able to.

My PC Configuration:

1) Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHZ
2) 120 GB Hard Drive
3) 512 MB DDR RAM
4) Some 840 or something like 845 E Intel Motherboard with an on-board graphics card
5) NVidia Ge Force 3 Graphics Card
6) Pinnacle TV Tuner Card (Internal)
7) LAN Card
5) Other components like a wireless keyboard and mouse alongwith a Samsung CD Writer and Sony Floppy Disk Drive

*I have one cooling fan on the motherboard and one fan on the backside of the cabinet. Additionally, there's a dedicated fan attached to the graphics card. I doubt if it's an overheating problem because while booting the computer, there are minimal chances of overheating.

ANY KIND OF HELP/WISDOM WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED. I DON'T GIVING AWAY A FREE GIFT/PRIZE. (PROVIDED THE SOLUTION REALLY WORKS OVER A PERIOD OF TIME ;) )

Thanks
Dhaval

also after 2 years the CPU heatsink is probably coated in dust, take clean the heatsinks real good and the case

The cabinet of a computer is a tall movable closet used to house multiple computers and computer equipment. The form of the modern cabinet is standardized by the Electronic Industries Alliance, so that equipment can be placed in any manufacturer's cabinet. The primary design criteria are:* Access to equipment - various kinds of locks and latches restrict access.* Airflow - Cabinets are designed to be placed side-to-side, so airflow is vertical, with vents and mounting brackets for fans. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_(computer)

Random reboots> first: RAM Second: PSU Third: failing CPU. What operating system are you using? XP? ME? 98SE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom