Upgrading computer...need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacko200

Solid State Member
I currently have a intel celeron d processor with the basic intel motherboard on it, with inbuilt sound aswell. I have a geforce 6600 256mb graphics card and 768 mb of pc3200 (ddr 400).

I want to urgrade becuase of gaming needs (my computer wont run hardly any games). But i was thinking of upgrading to a AMD Athlon 64 3500 and a Asus A8V motherboard . I think all of my components will fit into it, but I have 3 questions:

1: will i see a great increase in performance for games etc?

2: will i have to get a new soundcard as well for the new motherboard, becasue it think my intel motherboard has an inbuilt soundcard?

3: where si the best place int he UK to get these items, for the cheapest price?

1. Honestly, you will see a fair amount of performance increase because celerons are absoloute poo for gaming, but you may also want to upgrade your video card. What model 6600 do you have (LE,GT etc)? as it may be contributing to sluggish performance.

2. If the A8V has on-board sound: no, if it doesn't: yes... I'm not familiar with the board.

3. Overclockers.co.uk are very low priced, but also stock quality items.

my graphics card is just a standard 6600 256 mb, with no gt or le or anyhting on it.

Ok, that should hold out for a little while

How much do you have budgeted for your upgrade? If you have enough money I would upgrade to the 7600GT, it provides some very nice performance for the mid-range.

You will see a nice performance boost from upgrading your processor anyway, as I said, celerons are notoriously slow. Although if you could afford a little bit extra to get the Amd 64 3800+ it would be benificial.

i have about £250 at a maximumm to spend

Can u advise me on what stuff (processor, motherboard and soundcard) will be most beneficial, for running games like , WoW , Age of empires and some of the new stategy and MMO games coming out in the future.

Instead of the 3500+, fork out the extra bit and rather get the 3700+ (more L2 cache). And you will see a decent increase in games performance. The 7600GT is a very good mid-range card, basically a replacement for the 6600GT, closer in performance to the 6800. The new Mobo should have onboard sound, but make sure on the manufacturers website! Also try www.ebuyer.co.uk
Cheers

i am now going to try and get my hands on all of the things you said,

hopefully i can get them for around £250

thanks for the help man :)

Ah an MMO fan, likewise here =D

I know for a fact that WoW will benefit from a lot of RAM, I recommend 1GB minimum, 2GB would be lovely, but not neccessary by any means yet, faster proccessors again are very useful for running WoW smoothly.

I would reccommend buying a 3800+, an extra stick of 1GB RAM (2GB if you wish), and your motherboard. And later-on upgrade your video card.

Okay, just saw your last post. For 250, not a **** of a lot you can do. If you upgrade the mobo, you have to get a new GFX too, cause your card is AGP, and for future proofing, theres no point in getting a Mobo with an AGP slot! You will have to give up the 3500+, and go for:

Athlon 64 3200+. 87 GBP

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_AMD_64_Bit_263.html

Geforce 7600GT 160 GBP

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_7300___7600_Series_356.html

Abit KN8 Ultra Motherboard 70 GBP

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Socket_939_480.html

Thats about 320, and that is basically the minimum you can spend to upgrade.

yer if i do that , i can then save up for a very good card in the future to upgrade it then.

But my main concern is money , do you think i can rearly get all of this stuff for £250 or under LU4sTrooper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom