Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computa_neerd

Solid State Member
Ok so i want to upgrade my processor from a 2400+ to a 2800+, what exactly do i need to take out the processor in.... all i need is the gel stuff , processor and static wristband. But is it ok if i take out the old one and put in the new one and everything will be fine... need finer input on this pls thnx.

not gel, you want something like artic silver ceramique thermal paste. just dismount the heatsink, lift lever, replace CPU, lower lever, mount heatsink. i think you are wasting your money and a good xp25500. the difference between the xp2800 is very little. go for a 3000+ or faster for a noticable upgrade.

I'm with stupid ^^

Changing a CPU isn't a hard task. I think getting the heatsink on and off killed more CPU's the static discharges or overseeing the lever(where do you think Zero Insertion Force Socket came from).

If you bought a boxed cooler, there might be some paste in the Hs itself. This stuff aint that good, so u'd be doign a good job replacing it with silver-goo.

Don't forget, the best ammount of hs-paste is very little. I rmember my cpu went up to 70'C putting the entire dose of gel supplied with my cooler on my precious K6-2. For a barton core(dunno if there are any other 2800+ cores), even a drop @ the size of a pea is too much.

Ps: Why the need to buy a new cpu? A 2400+ is just fine and most of em are very well overcloackable. I'm running on a 1800+ and only during games i curse it's speed :p

Whenever you change any processor, its good to know if its compatible with your current hardware, that way you know if you need more RAM or a larger HDD, you might even need to upgrade you OS. Also make sure the pin arrangement on the CPU will fit (eg. Socket 370 etc.).

Make sure that you motherboard jumper settings for FSB are correct. The 2400+ has a FSB of 266 but the 2800's FSB is 333. If your board has a jumper for FSB and you don't set it correctly, your CPU will not post at the correct speed.
=)

I would just buy a good $30 dollar heatsink/fan and overclock that sucker...just make sure you know what you're doing first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom