Computer Wont Boot, Cpu fan not spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

kickemall

Solid State Member
This is the first time I've ever tried to build a computer. I got everything plugged in and even checked by my friend's dad who is a computer expert. The stats are:

Intel Celeron 3.06 CPU
NVIDIA 128MB Video Card
SG80 motherboard
1GB Ram
SATA (empty) 100GB HDD

When I plugged it in for the first time, nothing would come up. It would make a loud beeping noise and I noticed the fan was not spinning. Keep in mind that everything is new except the video card, firewire card, and 1 of the RAM cards , which I had in my old CPU. Can anyone help me with this problem?

kickemall said:
I did btw I forgot to mention that my mobo was an Abit

yea..... that's very important...... so are you sure all connections are secure, including the cpu fan?

Acutaully I feel like an idiot, the fan was plugged in wrong now it works but the comp still wont boot and im getting the same beeping noise so obviously that wasn't the problem

well look at your motherboard's manual. there should be a section where it talks about the issues regarding beeping noises. for instance on my motheboard a long series of beeps means that the RAM is either corrupt or there is no RAM present.

the manual doesn't say anything about beeping, but it does say that my mobo supports non-ECC un-buffeted memory... is that a special kind of ram or something.... by the way I do believe that hte ram is the problem because when i tried to turn it on w/o any ram it made the same noises

it may be that you bought the wrong type of RAM. make sure the speed complies with your motherboard.

good job troubleshooting with the RAM, that's what makes you learn.

Ok, a couple things come to mind.
First off. Use only 1 peice of RAM to try and boot.
Second. If the video card is a PCI-X16 and your mobo has 2 or more X-16 slots, chances are that it will boot only from the top one (as most DFI boards do)

Hopefully one of those two things will solve the problem
also the beeping is usually a code, Look also for blinking lights on the mobo, this is also a code. Then look that up in the user manual. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom