graphics and cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazvenn

Baseband Member
hi, well im new to this forum and have two problems which need resolving.
firstly the more important of the two. today my graphics card died its and inno3d nvidia 6800gt. been fine for the 3/4 months ive had it and today my computer just shut down i then smelt something burning had a look around inside computer wasnt sure what was wrong so restarted. the system seemed to boot up fully except for no display. i'm kinda convinced its the card and im just curious as to whther anyone could tell me whether there would b any chance of a replacement or anything if i tried.

secondly; before the graphics card went i kept getting a very random problem of the cursor arrow just freezing on the screen but i can still move around with the mouse and click things but not see where the mouse is.

thanks for help and time to read this

specs if needed:

asus a8n-e nforce 4

amd athlon 3700+

nvidia 6800gt (rip)

2gig ram

and not sure of the make 500w psu

also the mouse is microsoft and a ps2 connection

The chances of if being the video card are slim (but still possable) Do you have another card to try?? any card even an old pci card. Are you getting any post Beeps? If you do have another one and you try it and you still get no post screen try removing the ram and see if the board beeps If it does beep then the ram is toast remove the video card see if it beeps (it should if the mobo is still good) if it beeps the card is no good. Then unhook all your disk drives if you still get no beep's then the motherboard or CPU are NFG, I bet ya a beer its the board!

well i havnt got another card to try and everyone i know is running agp to my knowledge.
on the beeps im pretty sure i wasnt getting them before. but after your post i've just tried keeping the computer running to see if it boots windows and i can get the log in sound from there, no luck with that tried removing ram and not getting anything now everything seems to be running but its not doing anything.
cpu and bios fan still runing

I should have bet ya I need a beer! lol j/k. If you removed the card and it didn't beep like a mofo at you there's nothing wrong with the card. You removed the ram and it still didn't beep? and all the disk drives as well? dude the boards toast. send her back. All it means when your "CHIPSET" and cpu fan's are running and I am sure your drives will open and show a disc is the psu is working that's all. The only worring thing is sometimes when boards go south they take the cpu with them. How old is the system, alot of companies would replace both the cpu and motherboard. If you rma it make sure to mention that and raise a fuss the squeaky wheel get's the grease.

Edit - You can try resetting the cmos to see if you can get it to post as well, find the jumpers in your manual and/or pull the battery.

jus bought a new mobo all seems to be workin fine thanks a lot for help jus gotta chase up asus and whinge at them for a new mobo aswell

gazvenn said:
jus bought a new mobo all seems to be workin fine thanks a lot for help jus gotta chase up asus and whinge at them for a new mobo aswell

I like that you don't mess around!! good job.

Err... isn't the computer supposed to beep at you when you take the RAM out? How does that mean the RAM is bad, there's no RAM in it...

My RAM works fine, but if I take it out my computer gets mad at me and beeps like crazy.

Think about what you just said! If it won't beep when the ram is in (keep in mind it won't post) then it beeps when its out that's means the ram is stopping it from posting and the board is fine. Then you would try more ram, I was 99.9% sure the board was bad I knew it wouldn't beep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom