Suggestions on installing new mb & cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Patriarch

Solid State Member
I am getting read to install a new mb and cpu.

I currently have an AMD athlon 1.1 GHZ with American Megatrends BIOS. It is a Gateway original 4X MB.
It has 1GB of PC133 memory. Creative SB 5.1. GeF MX440 64mb VC running off a 250 watt power supply.
It is a dual boot system (thanks to some expert advice from this site) with ME on a 40GB HD & XP on a 120GB HD. Of course a FAT32 file system.

I am going to install a Soyo K7VMP2 8X-4X MB with an Athlon XP 2400+ and 1GB of 266mhz DDR memory.

Any suggestions or comments about problems I could run into. Was especially wondering about the boot system.

Thanks,

I would start to think about the 250W power supply and when it would stop carrying the current and future load.

Have you checked to see how much more it would cost moving up on processor speed, memory speed and MB capabilities.

This upgrade will probably be the machines last one since starting before the end of the year new MB layouts, PCI Express, sata speeds increase, etc. By some time next year the new capabilities could start becoming standards on new machines.

Just areas to consider. Your planned machine is a great improvement and well worth the effort.

Enjoy your new computer.

well.. when i first installed my new mobo, i got the jumpers in wrong. So it didn't work but i got them in right. Make sure u put the jumpers in right. Also if you know u put them in right but it still does not work, try and flip them around since it can only work 1 way. O yea and Dont force anything in. Also there are little gold things on the bottom of the case under the mobo. Gold or silver depending. DO NOT TAKE THOSE OUT. if you do then ur mobo will be touching metal and it will burn out. Thats bacisally it.

Cyber-surfer, the power supply had crossed my mind. Do you think a 300 watt power supply would suffice or should I move on up to a 350 or 400? The only other current consuming units are a floppy and a 52-24-52 LG CD RW. I am also planning on adding a Gainward 128mb 5600 ultra VC in the near future.

As for the cost, I already have it ordered. Got it from Tiger Direct. With rebates, paid about $225 incl S&H.
MB, CPU, fan, heat sink and 256 mb of memory was a one package deal for $99 with rebates. The additional 768 mb of memory was the heart of the cost.

Monster 00, thanks for the hint about the metal things on the bottom of the mb. My first and last mb installation was back in 1988 in the only computer I ever built. Things have changed quite a bit since then.

Any other comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom