wifi card won't work on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyapps

Solid State Member
HI guys, first post for me.

Got a problem in that I have a pcmcia wifi card and it won't work on my laptop.

The card does work on other laptops and I have tried other wifi cards in the laptop in question and they don't work either.

I'm running Windows 2k and am assuming it's something to do with that as the PCMCIA slot does work when i plug in other peripherals, ie an ethernet card.

When I plug in either of the wifi cards i've used to test it the OS doesn't even recognise anything's been plugged in at all.

The Wifi card i used is totally generic but if needed i'll give info on it though i'm fairly sure it's not the card at fault.

If anyone can shed any info on it i'd be grateful. Especially as it means I can go work down my wifi enabled pub!

Much appreciated,

Jon

Do you have the drivers for the card? The os will include some default drivers that will work with some cards but not all.

yep i've installed the drivers but it doesn't do anything. The card worked in another laptop i tried but not this one so it's not the drivers.

Yep other lapttop had XP. I assumed it was an OS problem. I was thinking it wasn't the actual drivers provided with the card that was causing the problem because the 2000 machine didn't even pop up a 'new hardware found' message nor did any of the lights light up on the card on plugin which they usually seem to do when installing such things.

Toshiba ToPIC100 (Intel 82365 comp)

found that info online.

My laptops an old Toshiba portege 3490CT.

Girlfriend's currently using it but if there's anything i can check to find out what type of slot it has let me know and I will.

Is there any way round this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom