Cpu`

Status
Not open for further replies.
magouster said:
Not to insult your intelligence, but what is the "normal" frequency you are reffereing to? I'm only asking cause I've read a similiar question on another forum. For the 2800+ it should be 2000MHz, and not 2800MHz. Just my 2 cents
the XP 2800+ Barton runs at 2.08GHZ stock I think (might be 2.18, but I don't think so)

anyway, Athlon XP's do tend to run fairly hot. what heatsink is on it? and what kind of airflow does your case get?
it could be the heat. my family's Athlon XP 2800+ machine used to overheat and occasionally crash, before I added extra cooling.

however it could also be the motherboard, RAM or a combination of the three things. it's not uncommon for bad quality RAM and/or motherboards to cause crashes

kaname said:
then get new stuff here for £250 if your sure it's the cpu

http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/product_info.asp?stockcode=M005876

http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/product_info.asp?stockcode=M005545

I assume your in the UK since that link takes you to a UK site

Thats around £300 :(

Maybe this would help narrow down the problem when I'm playing a video in winamp it uses 50-60% CPU while RAM usage is low(512 MB I have). Then I try load another program everything slows down and has trouble loading (even when im playing music it starts jogging.

Plus the CPU will only run at one frequency the others it will not work (233,266, 300, 400 i think??) You know the motherboard jumper settings.

Any ideas?

AMD 2200 1.7GHZ (its meant be 3000 but won't run at that level)
One stick of 512 RAM
Geforce MX440 (changing to a gforce fx soon)
40GB HDD
Wireless network
Can't renember the motherboard
Case fan
600W adjustable power supply 2xfans
CD-RW
Heatsink+Fan

2200? didnt you say 2800+ before.

Could it be one of those that store people overclock with that silver liquid stuff or something like that.

Hawk said:
Hey all,

I was wondering if this is a good replacement as im not looking to spend alot

AMD Sempron 2400+

The problem you are having has nothing to do with the cpu, The motherboard isn't correctly Identifying it. To set it to stock speeds yourself you need to set the bus speed to 166 if it is a 2800+ or 200 if it is a 3000+ or a 3200+. If it give's you problems and won't boot then you need to update the bios. But to answer your question if the board can't identify an athon XP it ISN"T going to even boot if you put a sempron in it. (without updateing the bios). Run CPU-Z to find out more about your motherboard and system.

Oh and by the way running at 1.7ghz would still be fine to run the programs you are talking about, You are infected with scumware, I know I know you said you scanned but what are you using? To find out how the computer is performing Run a PCPITSTOP

So I used CPU-Z and it came back with this,

(see file attached)

Also I just tried playing UT2004 and was fine for a little while but then started jogging and the system lost alot of performance is the CPU-Z info all ok?

Attachments

• image.zip
    60.7 KB · Views: 9
If the board has Identified it properly it is running at the proper speed!! What cpu were you told you purchased?? Your board is made by asrock and the current bios version is 2.60 (to support sempron cpu's) and you are running 2.20 You need to update the bios to be sure the board knows what cpu is being used. You are also only running a 4x agp card that is probably your sourch of crappy game performance. Have you installed the agp drivers for your chipset?

Does this look like your board?

K7S8X_F_S.jpg

Here's the downloads for your board

http://www.asrock.com/support/download.asp?Model=K7S8X#bios

Turns out it was a disk defrag that caused all my clogging down, so ashamed was a rooky mistake :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom