hard drive issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheetrocker

Beta member
Hi
I was hoping to get some guidance on a hard drive problem I've been having. Win XP OS.

To start off, I have a 250 gig western digital hard drive, partitioned 3 ways, that I use in my home computer and it runs fine. I took it out and put it in an enclosure to use with my laptop on a trip and the computer will not recognize it. It will recognize other hard drives I put in the enclosure, but not the 250. Once I got back home I put it back in the computer and it runs fine. I decided to get a new large drive specifically for the enclosure. I picked up a 300gig Maxtor and took it home put it in my home computer, partitioned it 3 ways and loaded windows XP on it, put it in the enclosure and neither my laptop nor my home computer will recognize it. It will recognize the there is a USB devise installed, but drives do not appear in windows explorer (or my computer). So I decided to put both hard drives in my home PC and slave one to the other, but the Maxtor will not appear. The WD will show and I can slave some older drives I have to it but the Maxtor is a no-go. I have tried every jumper setting I can think of and my bios is set to auto detect.
Whew, now what I'd like help with is ...how can I get the two drives to work together (slave n master) and why wonÂ’t either drive show in the enclosure? Thanks for reading all this and hope someone can help.

137gb limit i bet ya.. I think there's a sticky on the forums about this. Your laptop can't recognize anything above that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom