Solid State Member
Hardware profile:

AMD 3500 (2.2 GHz)
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
2 GB Corsair TwinX 3200 RAM
2 NVidia 7800 PCIe graphics cards run in SLI mode
WD Raptor 10,000 RPM 20 GB HD
650 Watt Power Supply

Here's what just happened. I was playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas when suddenly the computer hard crashes (no blue screen or anything, just monitor flicker as it changes resolutions, input light went orange, rebooted itself, but no joy.

Instead, it makes the long beep sounds that lasts for about 1 second and then beeps again every 3 seconds. Black screen and not even a BIOS screen.

I opened my rig and checked inside. No smell of fry or anything, but I did notice that the motherboard chip fan is no longer moving. It appears as though it is trying, but will not move. I think the fan crapped out and fried the motherboard. I also checked on some other tech forums and saw that that fan on this version of the A8N is a problem item.

To double check, I move the ram around, moved the video cards around, etc, but even with any new configuration to isolate any other possible problems it seems that it is likely the motherboard.

Anyone have any advice on this issue or if I am misconstruing any of these symptoms? Also, any previous experience dealing with ASUS for a replacement?

Thanks for your help.

Hey

Are you talking about the CPU fan or the northbridge fan.If its the CPU fan then you probably just need a new chip.

No, not the CPU fan. The fan that isn't working is the motherboard chip fan...kind of between the two SLI cards.

I attached a picture of the fan that **** the bed. I'm pretty sure its the motherboard CPU. Apparently this model has issues with their fans.

Attachments

• asus%20a8n-sli%20deluxe.gif
    55.8 KB · Views: 36
That is your northbridge fan. Like flashdude said check what the beep codes mean.You can find with either your motherboard book. Or google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom