CS with intel shared gfx

Status
Not open for further replies.

necrophyte

Baseband Member
i know ist been posted several times, and i read through all posts - here and at other places, too - but i really dont understand this joke of a graphics card yet..

first of all, my specs...
hp compaq nx9030 (notebook)
intel M 1.7GHz
512MB DDR 333MHz RAM
and
intel 82852/82855 GM/GME integrated graphics 64MB :mad:

my only aim is to achieve best possible performance in CS 1.6 while playing on 1024x768x60 (more does my monitor not support)

what i can get now is 20-40fps while playing, depending on the map, dynamic lights etc., but mostly its around 25-35
since i have a very good connection, this is not a problem at all

my 3d-settings on intel extreme graphics 2:
Asynchronous Flip: ON
Triple Buffering: ON
Flipping Policy: Flip
Depth Buffer Bui Depth: Default
Force S3TC Texture Compression: OFF
Force FXT1 Texture Compression: OFF
Driver Memory Footprint: High
Texture Colour Depth: 32 Bits Per Texel
Anisotropic Filtering: OFF

lowering texture color deph to 16 doesnt make a significant change in CS, except far worse image quality in google earth

i tried with power strip, but theres almost nothing i can change there, since its integrated gfx..

what confuses me a bit is that when i open information in intel extreme 2, it says min gfx memory 32MB, max 64MBm memory in use 7MB. when i start CS and start playing (in spectator mode), this goes up to max. 12MB.... but i actually cannot imagine that it uses only 12MB (5MB mor than for displaying the desktop only) for CS..

when being in CS without playing, just at the interface, the fps is equal to my fps_max (shall i set fps_max to 101 or 60, as my monitors refresh rate is, or a different value?). as soon as i open a window, eg. servers, it looses about 1/4 of the fps - while displaying only one window, without any 3D gfx or any animation!!!

is it possible to get more than max. ~42fps while playing at 1024x768x60? if yes, how???

on my other notebook (compaq nc8000, 1.6Ghz, 512MB RAM), where i have a radeon 9600 64MB, fps NEVER goes below 99fps at 1024x768x60... (vsync off, same as asynchronus flip @ intel gfx on) and the ping is significantly lower than on the nx9030, too, although playing with same configs and on on the same connection (4096/768 with FP)

please help!

play 800x600. When I play cs or css or any other game i run 800x600 for better performeance and because to me the guns look dumber at higher resolutions

are you running on software rendering

no, openGL

i tried playing on 800x600 but that looks so bad, its impossible for me to play like that

this gfx card could support more, but my monitor only supports 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 and its certainly meant to run at 1024x768, i compared 800x600 on that monitor (notebook) and on the other notebook with radeon 9600 and on 2 desktops, everywhere 800x600 looks acceptable, but on this one its really ugly. however, at 1024x768 everything looks very fine and the monitor is really very good, no headache after sitting for hours in front of it, very good color and conrast display etc.

and second thing... at 800x600 the crosshair is so big, i cannot aim at all with that size

I think your problem might be with the integrated graphics card. Theres just not much you can do with them. Just use your compaq nc8000.

but is there really nothing i could do...?

i dont need good graphics quality, my only aim is to get an average of 50-60fps without vsync (asynchronous flip: off). thats "just" 20fps more than what i get now.. in terms of quality - i played the elder scrolls III morrowind at maximum gfx settings and it went perfectly, the only thing i missed was pixel shading, but when i compared the quality with the image on another pc with pixel shading the difference was really almost ignorable..

i really only want to get 50-60fps at 1024x768x60

im thinking about putting in 2x512MB RAM - would this make a change?

is there really no other way to increase performance without degrading the quality with integrated gfx?

well, some years ago i played thief deadly shadows on a 2,6Ghz, 512MB RAM desktop PC with a radeon 9200 128MB and the poor performance was really very annoying, but after putting in another 512MB RAM it got really playable, also with some higher gfx settings than the minimum. and the game requires "only" 256MB RAM and im sure that the graphics card was the problem for the performance, not the RAM.

but that was a 9200 128MB card, not an integrated inel 64MB card on a notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom