Please help me perfect me computer build. (and answer a few questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
k PC 4000 DDR500 means that its faster........500/2=250MHz ( you divide by 2 because its DDR, double data rate i believe it stands for). here is why it is better.

the ddr 500 gets downclocked to ddr 400 speeds. the memory divider is set to 1:1, and ur FSB is also 200MHz. so when ur OC the FSB by 50Mhz ( which results in about 550MHz when multiplied by the multiplier ( you'll learn about all those when u read he OCing guides). so the ram also gets OC'd by 50MHz because the ratio ( mem divider) for ocing is set to 1:1 ( 1Mhz increase for FSB, increases ram by 1Mhz as well) so you can oc ur FSB by 50Mhz without having to worry about changing the memory divider ( ratio of speed increase) or increasing the voltage to the ram.

1) OK i think im going with the P160. I need to figure out the memory still. I want 2gb (2x1gb sticks) not too expensive. But i dont want to be buying cheap slow stuff either. Does the timings make a huge difference? if so where? in games?

2) I think im gunna go with the opteron 165 and overclock it like a mofo. Do i need any special cooling for this?

3)Is my BFG overclocked grafics card good in terms of price / performance?

4) Any other specific recomendations for a combo dvd / cd reader and burner?

5) http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16141&vpn=WD2500KS&manufacture=Western Digital (is this a good hard drive?)

6) Is it worth buying from new egg if they have some cheaper prices? Or should i stick with canadian ncix.com? Will i get screwed with tax at the boarder if i go newegg?

1)get some good ram.. so when you overclock, its easier
2)yes, i would get an aftermarket heat sink fan.. Zalman, Thermaltake and Scythe makes good ones
3)i wouldnt get the overclocked one.. its a waste of money... get a regular one and overclock it yourself (its easy.. just ask once you get it.. seriously, its just sliding a bar lol)
4) eh... personal preference
5) yes
6) no.. they dont ship to Canada.. so...

Hey von, just got your message :) Shold've dropped me a line on msn.

Anyways,

I see you looked into the Opteron line, reason I never reccomended it in the first place was because its usually used by home users for overclocking, in which case I'd reccomend investing in some better RAM.

Why the expensive OCZ PSU? Just get an Antec 450W or something, for alot cheaper.

Newegg doesn't ship to Canada, and we're located in Canada, so don't bother. Stick with NCIX.

Aftermarket heatsinks are really cheap and would work fine, especially since you are overclocking, but why are you overclocking, I'd suggest reading a bit up on it before you go into it, and I'm here too, but I just want you to be comfortable with what you're getting into. My 3000+ overclocks to 3500+ speeds but I keep it at 3000+ because I prefer a silent running CPU then a blaring stock fan :p Also, I've already told you, I consider myself a bit of a poweruser when it comes to computing with all the applications I run and stuff I do, my 3000+ Venice is MORE then enough power for me.

Catch me on xfire or something.

septoid2 said:
Hey von, just got your message :) Shold've dropped me a line on msn.

Anyways,

I see you looked into the Opteron line, reason I never reccomended it in the first place was because its usually used by home users for overclocking, in which case I'd reccomend investing in some better RAM.

Why the expensive OCZ PSU? Just get an Antec 450W or something, for alot cheaper.

Newegg doesn't ship to Canada, and we're located in Canada, so don't bother. Stick with NCIX.

Aftermarket heatsinks are really cheap and would work fine, especially since you are overclocking, but why are you overclocking, I'd suggest reading a bit up on it before you go into it, and I'm here too, but I just want you to be comfortable with what you're getting into. My 3000+ overclocks to 3500+ speeds but I keep it at 3000+ because I prefer a silent running CPU then a blaring stock fan :p Also, I've already told you, I consider myself a bit of a poweruser when it comes to computing with all the applications I run and stuff I do, my 3000+ Venice is MORE then enough power for me.

Catch me on xfire or something.

Yes good point here, with a decent video card and that opteron you may not need to overclock...see what the performance is like without overclocking and if your not happy, then look into overclocking...minor overclocking can be done with stock cooling usually...remember overclocking is fairly easy but you can damage components and void warranties..

yo when buying ram, listen to what i said. if u are going to oc ( thats wat u said) get ram thats PC 4000 DDR 500, you'll have some room for ocing without worrying bout ram, and the Latencies arent that bad either.

Why get RAM rated at a faster speed? What if his motherboard can't support it? My MSI motherboard supports only PC3200 at 2.55v (I THINK?) I'm not quite sure, haven't adjusted voltages in a while.

Just stick with PC3200, if you want to overclock, just throw up a memory divider, like everyone else on earth, plus its cheaper.

Some memory and overclocking by anandtech.com

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2548&p=20

"The biggest deal for many people will be the results using standard PC-3200 RAM and higher memory dividers. While you won't be able to match the performance of a system that uses better quality RAM, the largest margin of victory was still under 10% (not counting instances where 2T command rates were used). The average was closer to 5%, and realistically, you won't notice a 5% performance loss. Outside of games, the performance losses attributed to value RAM are even less, with video encoding only losing a few percentages in speed. What it really comes down to is cost. We used a $190 CPU with $85 and $150 RAM. Going with a 3000+ and the value RAM saves almost $125 and should get you about 90 to 95% of the performance of the more expensive setup. That $125 could then be put towards a faster GPU, which will have a far greater impact on games than a 200 or even 400 MHz CPU upgrade.

Other than the value vs. quality RAM debate, what about the overall experience of overclocking this configuration? We were pretty impressed with the "budget" DFI motherboard. While I haven't personally used the Ultra-D, there were few problems on the Infinity that I couldn't deal with. Even with a good motherboard, though, overclocking can be exasperating at times. With value RAM rated at DDR400 2.5-3-3-8, it was at times difficult to get those timings even at speeds slightly below the rated DDR400, particularly on the high end of the overclocking scale. While I'd be willing to run 2.6 or even 2.7 GHz with the OCZ RAM, I have a feeling that long-term stability with the value RAM might require dropping to 2.5 to 2.6 GHz instead, or else increasing the timings to 3-3-3-8 or even 3-4-4-8. And speaking of timings, the 2T command rate should almost always be avoided. Results for a couple of settings were included, and overall, you would be better off running 100 or even 200 MHz slower with 1T command rate.

Something else that all of the graphs and results don't indicate is some of the oddities that can come up with overclocking. The SATA drive would sometimes make strange noises during the Windows XP boot sequence, almost like the HDD heads were seeking back and forth across the drive. Everything seems to indicate that the overclock is somehow to blame, and while a BIOS update might be able to address this particular issue, the end result is that XP would sometimes take up to 5 minutes to load at higher overclocks. Once loaded, everything worked fine, and the HDD was still running at full SATA spec. Another possible cause for delays in loading XP could be the networking subsystem. The testbed was connected to a gigabit switch, and we've experienced issues with network stability on overclocked PCs in the past. An MSI K8N Neo Platinum, for example, drops network connectivity after a day or two in many - but not all - overclocked configurations. We didn't experience this particular problem during testing of the DFI board, but it's something to look for on your own systems. Dropping the speed of the HyperTransport bus also helped avoid some - but not all - of the hard drive access delays. As we said, be prepared for some strange behavior now and then during overclocking.

The final comment that we want to make is about the long term viability of overclocking. We started this article with a warning, and we'll end it the same way. While we haven't encountered problems with the CPU yet, that doesn't mean that the chip won't simply die in a few weeks, months, or hopefully, not for years. Higher voltages in particular can affect CPU life, as they can accelerate electron drift. As we couldn't get to 2.7 GHz without running at 1.750V, we're a little hesitant to recommend that speed as a long-term solution. Given that 2.6 GHz is, at worst, only 4% slower, we'd recommend that as a better solution and go with the 1.650V setting. That's similar to how Intel supposedly binned CPUs back in the socket 7 days: they would reportedly increase CPU clock speeds until the chips failed, and then sell them two bins below the maximum stable clock speed. Whether that's rumor or in truth how they operate (operated?), running at speeds slightly slower than your "stable" maximum will be preferred by many. Crashing even every couple of days or once a week is too reminiscent of the Windows 95 era.

We've tried to get across the point that there are no guarantees with overclocking. Even with that disclaimer, we're pretty confident that the vast majority of Athlon 64 Venice chips will run at 2.4 GHz, and probably even 2.6 GHz. It may require higher voltages, better cooling, or relaxed memory timings, but with the right combination of parts, it's a relatively safe bet. Worst case scenario, try running at 3-4-4-9-2T memory timings, then try running at those timings and PC2700 or even PC2100 on the RAM. If it's still unstable, it might be your motherboard or some other factor holding you back. Even a 15% overclock is still pretty good, though, and you can probably get that without any special equipment other than an enthusiast motherboard."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom