Disk Clean Up won;t work

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmillarkat

Baseband Member
For some reason when I use Disk Clean Up it will not work and of course the Defrag won;t either. I checked for virus's and it says I have none, but I did and cleaned them, what could be the problem and is there a way to get this to work???

Thank you for all and any help, I am frustrated, I have Windows XP

Cindy:(

Thanks will try what you said

Well what happens when I start Disk Clean up is that it comes up with the disclaimer if you will, compressing old files may take a few moments...well it never does freezes.

Cindy

I would go ahead and remove that registry key as recommended above.

You can also greatly clean up your disk manually by doing the following:

Delete all temp files (c:\windows\temp\*.tmp)

Delete all temporary internet files:
1. In I.E., click on Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files, select Delete All Offline Content, click OK
2. Then also go into c:\windows\temporary internet files\ and delete whatever's in there

You should use Diskeeper to defrag, as it's far better than the built-in defragger, and it won't restart like the built-in one does (which restarts every time it encounters an open file or program).

Something else you can do to clean up your disk is get AdAware, then update its definitions file and run it on a regular basis.

Hedda Lora

Thanks all for the suggestions, I will try them and let you know how it turns out, I don;t want to do any harm to my computer thats all......

Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom