to upgrade or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

realmike15

Baseband Member
with all the new technology that has come out within the last year or so, my computer seems more quickly out of date, then it used to be when i would upgrade.

the specs of my current computer are in my signature. i generally play new computer games, so a fast computer is pretty important to me, not so much for frame rates, but just to be able to play at "high quality" settings and still maintain a decent frame rate.

i'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but i don't want to skip out on important hardware that will make a significant impact on my performance.

i was looking at this for a processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562
trying to spread the money out a little, instead of buying one really expensive processor

i'm not really happy with my Abit, my first one came DOA. i was thinking MSI or DFI, i've heard good things about both. the only things they must have is, onboard LAN/SATA/USB2.0, and pref Firewire but not a must. i was hoping for suggestions with this pick.

i'm an ATI guy and i try not to skip out on my graphics card so i was think http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814195002
i just want to get one at first, then i'll get another when i have the money for SLI, i assume i can run off one card at first?

and last, a new power supply. i have a smartpower right now, which is not very good, so i was thinking of upgrading to this 550w truepower. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931

i was planning on keeping everything else and throwing it into the new machine; RAM, 2x250gig HD, SATA DVD-RW, Audigy 2, Mid-Tower, 19" LCD

so basically i'm looking for some input on my choices and just advice as to wether it's worth upgrading right now, or to wait until the technology matures a little more.

get the opty, learn to overclock, and overclock that thing till it wants to get out of the machine and backhand you across the face... but get a good heat sink fan if your doing that :D..

guys, dont u just love it when someone who knows the basics comes into this forum.

Yes the Opteron 165 is a great choice, if you are going to Overclock ( which is really ez) it overclocks like MAD! 2 guys on this forum got thiers to 2.8GHz on air cooling alone.

the powersupply is also one of the best. as for mobo get an MSI K8N Neo4-F or a DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D, but if ur not that pro just go with the MSI.

here is where ur wrong, ATI uses Crossfire, Nvidia uses SLI, but nonetheless they are both a COMPLETE WASTE of money. but i would suggest that you get a 7900GT for now until the G80s come out, cause u dont wanna spend $450 on a graphics card to just spend it again on a better one coming out in a couple of months, late Q4 or early Q1 of 2007. or just get a 7600GT then save ur money for a 8800 series.

you might want to download this program called CPU-Z and tell us what ram you have......we'll tell you if you'll need to switch that.

MSI is just as good, but its just cheaper. its a great motherboard for Overclocking. its just as good as the DFI, just less hardcore maniac weirdo geeky bios.

also i've played around with OCing, but i'm just not interested in doing it this time around, or at least not now. right now i have zalman 120mm cpu fan, and thats about the extent of my aftermarket cooling.

so far the run down i get from you guys is DFI and MSI as both good choices. SLI/Crossfire is just not worth it right now, still go with one good graphics card. and good pick on power supply.

k so when u buy ram ( first thing you should no that if ur gonna upgrade ram, YOU TAKE OUT THE ONE YOU CURRENTLY HAVE, DONT USE IT). buy Dual Channel G.Skill, OCZ, Patriot, or Crucial ram. When you do (this is only if ur gonna overclock), make sure that the ram is PC 4000 ddr 500 so it would be easier for you to OC ur CPU without having to worry about the Ram, and at the same time have some decent latencies.

ok but i dont have to buy new ram correct? i know the corsair is not as good as some of the reviews had led to believe, but i am trying to keep the budget reasonable here.

*edit* all the mobos i looked at were ddr400 compatible i thought. so wouldn't have to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom