heatsink/fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

triskit

In Runtime
I was reading a pc building guide that said that i would have to install a heatsink/fan onto my cpu. Should the cpu come with one, or should i buy one... or will i not need one if im not going to overclock...

If you are not going to OC, then the stock HSF that comes with the CPU should do the trick. If you plan on OC'ing then you should by an aftermarket one like a zalman, big typhoon, ninja scythe.

triskit said:
I was reading a pc building guide that said that i would have to install a heatsink/fan onto my cpu. Should the cpu come with one, or should i buy one... or will i not need one if im not going to overclock...

Retail cpu's come with a heatsink oem cpu's don't,But no matter what you need a heatsink or you will fry the cpu in about 10 second's :eek: If you are not oc'ing a stock heatsink will be fine but if you do plan on oc'ing you will need a good after market one.

You are getting a x2 3800+ right? It should come with amd's new HSF Its a heatpipe type and If you read the reviews people swapped the stock one with highpriced aftermarket ones and the stock shows cooler temps!! My 3700+ didn't come with one, so there are still alot of the older hsf's in circulation. Here's the New one!

triskit said:
cool, so do i need to buy some as5 or will the processor come with something decent?

It will come with pretty good paste,(power kind) applied on the bottom of the Heat Sink. But you should have some anyway for if you ever have to remove the HSF you will need to remove all of what's left of the original and reapply it.

it comes with a thermal pad. so yeah, i would get some AS5 if you want your temps a few degree's lower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom