Sound is choppy, scratchy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigyak

Beta member
So, I installed a new motherboard, an MSI to be exact. And I got 1 gb of ddr ram. Also a new processor, an AMD. All my cards are the same as before, nearly 5 years old for all of them. The problem is, that once I installed the new processor, motherboard and ram, the sound on my computer became crappy. It is choppy, distorted, slow sometimes. It seems linked to cpu usage. Because the more things I do on my computer, whether internet or not, the choppiness and distortion get worse. Could this be linked to the ram, could it be that my sound card is sem-incompatible with the motherboard/ram. Any help would be great!!! Thanks.

not sure how to see if I have onboard audio. Also, if I do, not sure how to tell if I would be disabling my sound card or onboard sound.

You most likely have onboard audio. Just spin your case around and look at the ports for the motherboard. If you have audio jacks right on the motherboard, then you have onboard sound. If you have audio jacks down in the PCI bay, then you are using a sound card.

Okay, so i definitely have audio jacks on my mother board. I have onboard sound. So how might one make sure the computer is only trying to use one or the other, not both? If that's what the problem is.

Right click on My Computer, go to Properties, then click the Hardware tab, then Device Manager and then under Sound see what it's using for drivers. IE: Sound card drivers, or on-board drivers.

If you have a PCI sound card, just take it out and un-install any drivers for it and then install the audio drivers for your motherboard.

Those of you that helped me, I sincerely appreciate it. My sound is no longer lagging, choppy or scratchy. It is as clear as it should be. My computer is fixed. Thanks again. Woot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom