HP Pavilion xt963 not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpu11223344

Beta member
Computer: hp pavilion xt963
It has all of itÂ’s original parts except for the video card which I replaced with a GF MX4000 64MB DDR TV PCI card, and another card of RAM. Neither have given me any problems before. I also have a NIC card, but that has never given me problems, either.
Last weekend I installed a DVDrom and removed it a short while later. This didnÂ’t cause any immediate problems, either.

HereÂ’s a brief summary of whatÂ’s wrong:
Ever since I got the computer from a friend, the most noticeable problem was that it only actually booted 1 out of 2 times. I’ve always had to turn on the computer once, wait a little bit, turn it off, and then turn it back on before the system started up. I’ve also had a lot of problems with the video card coming loose in it’s PCI slot, but I’ve gotten pretty good at fixing this. Every once in a while my computer also turns off unexpectedly and I get a blue screen with a message that says something that begins with “Beginning physical memory dump.”
Last night/this morning I was up until 2 A.M. playing some online games. I shut down my computer a little while later. It wasnÂ’t showing any problems. I woke up around 9 hours later and the computer wouldnÂ’t start when I pressed the power button. Nobody had touched it while I slept. Whereas it wonÂ’t start up if you press the power button and let go immediatly, IÂ’ve found that if I hold the power button down for a while (2-3 minutes) the CPU fan starts and the rest of the computer starts within a couple more minutes. The video card must be loose again, but fixing it when the computer takes 5 minutes to turn on seemed a little backwards. I donÂ’t get any beeps, etc. The green light on the back of the power supply and the green light next to the battery on the motherboard are both lit up.
IÂ’m at a loss for what to do. It was working perfectly fine not too long ago... Any help/advice you could give would be great.

IÂ’ll be around for a while and back tomorrow if you need more information.

Thanks.

I'd bed your motherboard is about to fail. First of all, just in case - start backing up things in case the worst should happen.

I drained the capasitors and it works now, which is great. :D
Has anyone ever had the problem with the computer only booting one out of two times before? If anyone could give me a heads up on how to fix that I would be very grateful. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom