AMD 64 gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason we're going Dual Core so early is because some of us have actually seen benchmarks of Dual Cores and Single Cores performing in a Dual Core-supporting game. The results were conclusive - the slowest Dual Core (at the time, the X2 3800+) beat the fastest single core (FX-57) by a reasonably large margin. You can buy a Athlon 64 4000+ and overclock it to 2.8GHz and it will perform excellently. But you can also buy a X2 3800+ for the same price, and when Dual Core games come around (and they will) you will be performing much better than the 4000+ @ 2.8GHz.

Then there's the point about bottlenecking, and how a videocard is 95% of the time a bottleneck in the system, and you could get the same performance from a 3200+, but thats beside the point, and still needs to be researched.

yeah i'm gonna go dual core too, when Vista is released, it also depends how much Vista Ultimate is going to cost to determine the clock speed that you should invest in....

Ohh, most of us can't afford to spend 2grand on a new system every year......

I could, but i have other things to do too, such as ski, mountain bike, golf, etc.

Well tell me if this is ok, i'm gonna go with an Opteron 150 an upgrade to dual core next year sometime when i get a raise (16yr saving for first ultimate doom system here!)

One question though, will an Opteron work with a DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D?

Cdiablo

Callan said:
Well tell me if this is ok, i'm gonna go with an Opteron 150 an upgrade to dual core next year sometime when i get a raise (16yr saving for first ultimate doom system here!)

One question though, will an Opteron work with a DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D?

Cdiablo

Go with the Opteron 146. See, after my last post, i DID research it, and a better CPU ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT affect your performance in a game. It doesn't matter whether it is a 2.0Ghz processor or a 2.8GHz processor, your performance will only be affected in one game, and thats BF2. But it sticks out like a sore thumb because in no other game will you get any performance increase. Thats because the videocard will keep your bottlenecked. The videocard can't keep up with the CPU, so the only thing you can do is get a better videocard. Stick with the 144, and if you need any extra muscle, overclock that puppy to ****.

But then i'd have to order it in from America (I live in Australia, where tech is soo expensive you could wipe out world hunger with the money it costs to buy a computer). I can only get a San Diego 3700+/4000+ or Venice 3200+/3500+/3800+ and a couple of Opterons.

What about a 3800+ Venice, is there that much of a difference between a 4000+ SD and a 3800+ V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom