Camcorder..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
I need a digital camcorder, DVD or with an internal HD, for less than $800 canadian. I'm going to be using it for low level film-making as part of my mass media course. Any suggestions as to which brand/model and where to buy it from for cheapest?

Hmm.......
the JVC 20gb looks pretty good....
I just DONT recommend getting it from futureshop because it will be broken somehow......

In the states, Our "Best Buy" is the same as your "Future Shop", its owned by the same parent company....and if I know the corporation.....they have the same problems....

Buy it from either J & R music and video, or B & H photo.....they are very good....

Here is an example.
BestBuy/FutureShop had the Canon GL2 for about $3000US
J & R music and video had it for $1999.99US with a $250US rebate...and discount on accessories if you bought them all at once..!!!!
...so i saved about $1500US on the whole system.....
got myself a boom mike, the ma300 mike adapter, 2 8 hour batteries, 1 4-6 extend battery, vl3 camera light and vl10 camera light.....
everything came to about a total $2500US with the camera being $1999.99US of THAT...so check them out....

The same one that FutureShop is trying to push for only $549+shipping
Thats about ~$614 CAD

JVC 20gb

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4081793

OR
$599 with FREE shipping.....sound good....
Thats about $670 CAD
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4081794

J & R has only 1 store.
Its in New York.......
and since your in Montreal, shipping would probably be 1-2 days....tops...

So lets look back at how crappy FutureShop/Best Buy is.....
Futureshop price 999 and they say that your saving money...which you are NOT

At J & R music and computer.....you will save $329CAD with the free shipping option...or $384 CAD with the added shipping option....
Im not exactly sure what the difference is.....
If your ever in NYC, you should check them out....
They have a funkadelic multistory building....they basically bought out a bunch of neighboring building and tore the walls down in between.....so some buildings have 2 stories...some 3...and some 4.....
Its a funny building....but the prices are great.....their nearly factory cost....

I've worked at FutureShop/BestBuy and left because of the stupidity....but i can tell you that J & R has the employee prices of BestBuy/FutureShop....

i'll admit that some things break down from Future Shop.

However, my clock radio and TV are from Future Shop, no problems with them :)

The cheapest place for electronics, is Wal-Mart.

shdwsclan, you seem to really know what you are talking about in terms of digital camcorders for amateur film making (I'm assuming that's what you're using your setup for..) Would you mind if you could add me to either MSN or AIM to discuss my purchase of a camcorder? I'd really appreciate your help a lot.

MSN: omario75@hotmail.com
AIM: tajaraf

My AIM is cs330ta4 ....
If you have any questions you can im me......

For my FutureShop/BestBuy record......

Sharp Minidisk - Returned 3 times, third time exchanched for:
Archos FM Jukebox 20gb - Returned 3 times, third time exchanged for:
iRiver H320 - Returned once, warranty ran out, and battery is dead.....non-replaceable battery...but im thinking about doing it myself since they are pretty cheap now....

Sony Clie NZ-90 - Returned 2 times, thankfully sony recalled it because of ccd, and sony fought me on it....

Panasonic 35 inch tube, power supply fried after warranty expired, costed 100 to replace...

Panasonic 50 inch widescreen LCD projection, lightbulb burns out every 8 month, but bulb is rated for 3 years....one more burnout and they should honor the warranty and get me a new tv...

Microsoft MN-130 etherenet adapter.....dead
Dlink Ethernet Adapter.....dead

US robotics modem(back in the day)......dead
Packard bell computer(back in the day).......dead....hard disk malfunction.

Maxtor hard drive....dead
HP deskjet 660sce (back in the day).....dead....
(I had laser printer that i pulled out of the garbage that lasted longer)
(I have a dot matrix printer that still works to this day....)
Memorex DVD+R Dual Layer 2.4x.......dont even work....
(I bought DL verbatims on ebay...and bingo....they work...)

Sony 900 mhz cordless phone.....dead
Siemens 2.4ghz cordless phone....dead
V-tech cordless phone.....dead
Cyberlink dvd player.....bad laser
(The one i bought from radio shack works fine)
(Im not cheap, but the cyberlinks for $30 are awesome because they are dual voltage and only have a software region lock which can be deactivated with a simple code entered from the remote)

Phillips CRT Monitor - returned twice....second time...exchanged for a samsung....

Digital LED Clock - Sometime wakes you, sometimes it doesnt
Digital Clock Radio - Sometimes wakes you, but usually doesnt

Memorex CDRs i buy there.....the top 5-10 from a 100 pack have to be discarded due to damage....

Microsoft Wireless Optical Explorer.....literally fell apart....I bought one on ebay and its working longer than the one i bought at this place....
Sony Hi-8 Camcorder....Dead
Sharp Hi-8 Camcorder.....Dead
....and much much more.....

Only things that actually work are the....
CLP 510 Color Laser (Under 3 year warranty)

There are some things that work......but i cant name those things...because i cant remember i actually have any.....

i know that electronics aren't supposed to last forever....thanks to the japanese....but all of these electronic barely outlived their warranties...or didnt even...

I had a Canon GL1 and upgraded to a GL2
I dont plan to upgrade to HD based camcorders until a low comression format of HD is developed......what ever happened to the HD-DV project....

Also the japanese are being gay with blue laser....while maxell just developed HDVD which is Holographic Digital Versatile Disk......which sore a couple 100 gigabyte on a single disk....no crazy layering....
The blue laser war is really stupid, and if maxell developed thier stuff for the market, then they would easily dominate the market...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom