My Computer stays frozen... need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusader878

Solid State Member
Hello to all,

The problem is when I turn on my computer it doesn't do anything, the monitor doesn't display anything and the computer just stays on doing nothing. Under the turn on switch there is a little red light that stays solid on. and my slave drive also has a light that stays on.

However, if I don't touch the computer for about 4 days and try to turn it on, it actually boots normally for about 10 seconds then it goes back into the stage noted above. I've tried changing the CD-Rom drive and the same thing happens.

There's a switch on the back of the computer that I have to turn off because if I don't, the computer actually turns on all by itself after I've turned it off. Of course in the same stage noted above.

I really could use some help here. I would really appreciate it, thank you all.

Crusader878 said:
Hello to all,

The problem is when I turn on my computer it doesn't do anything, the monitor doesn't display anything and the computer just stays on doing nothing. Under the turn on switch there is a little red light that stays solid on. and my slave drive also has a light that stays on.

However, if I don't touch the computer for about 4 days and try to turn it on, it actually boots normally for about 10 seconds then it goes back into the stage noted above. I've tried changing the CD-Rom drive and the same thing happens.

There's a switch on the back of the computer that I have to turn off because if I don't, the computer actually turns on all by itself after I've turned it off. Of course in the same stage noted above.

I really could use some help here. I would really appreciate it, thank you all.

is this a new computer, and is it custom built, dell, hp...?

There is somesort of stop code specified by the bios.....

It sounds like the ram.....
If it was the power supply, then the system would not boot at all because it would of been overloaded.....

If it boots for ten seconds....then it sounds like the ram...you could try memtestx86...but it sound like the ram.....test the ram in that comp in another compatible comp....

"infiltrator7: do you hear any beebs or anything?"

--I don't hear anything.

"shdwsclan: There is somesort of stop code specified by the bios.....

It sounds like the ram.....
If it was the power supply, then the system would not boot at all because it would of been overloaded.....

If it boots for ten seconds....then it sounds like the ram...you could try memtestx86...but it sound like the ram.....test the ram in that comp in another compatible comp...."

--If it is the ram, then what should I do? I can't use the computer so I can't test it with memtestx86.

"infiltrator7: is this a new computer, and is it custom built, dell, hp...?"

--The computer is about two years old and it is custom built. The mother board is an Asus. Pentium 4.

"Tordenskjold: specs would be good... "

--What kind of specs exactly, I'm really not that good with specs and internal stuff.

(Thanks for all the replies)

nice guide flashdude. I think that's definately worth a look for you crusader since I had problems that had very similar symptoms on a laptop. I thought it was the memory for the longest time, but it turned out to be the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom