Motherboard upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonS

Baseband Member
Recently I built aComputer using a 754 socket Sempron 2800+ with an ECS nForce3-A motherboard. Patriot RAM, Seagate HD, and FX5500 vid. and Antec 500w power. It runs great! Never one to leave things alone, I bought an Athlon 3500+ 64 and a used MSI K8N NEO Platinum mb. Also socket 754. Now when I start it, it runs for about five seconds and shuts down. I put every thing back the way it was before, except using the new processor. It runs great. Oh yeah, I'm using Win XP.
It seems to me that I bought a bad mb, but don't know for sure. Could I be doing something wrong with the MSI board? It came from Ebay so I know nothing of its history.
I didn't pay too much for it so I won't be out much money, but I've read that this board is really good if it works.:confused:

So you exchanged your old mobo with a new one? Whenever you replace the mobo i know you have to reinstall windows again for it too work properly. Did you do this?

thebleakness said:
So you exchanged your old mobo with a new one? Whenever you replace the mobo i know you have to reinstall windows again for it too work properly. Did you do this?
The computer never gets to the setup stage. The monitor stays dark and it shuts down.
I emailed the person I bought it from and all he told me was that it worked when he removed it and the auction stated "as is".

It's probably because you need to reinstall windows...whenever you change the mobo you usually have to because, your current installation of windows won't recognize the new mobo.

I have the new Windows disk in the drive, but still nothing happens. I'll put the old board back in and have the computer boot from the disc drive and try it again.

Ok, after hours of fooling around, Its the **** mother board. Thats it for me and buying used computer stuff on Ebay. Just the way the guy worded things, he was covering his butt.
FYO, a computer will show a screen even if the hard drive is disconnected. If you do put a new motherboard in, you will get a screen stating that you have to insert an operating system disc to contrinue. You don't get just a blank. I was hoping, with this topic, to get an answer from someone familiar with MSI motherboards to find out if I made a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom