PSU ? - repost

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
Posted this this AM, but still hasn't even been viewed once and it has an unmarked icon, so I just want to make sure it posted OK...

This is the system I'm putting together... need to know if 350W would suffice >>

P4 2.8ghz 800 FSB
1 GB PC 3200 Dual Channel
CD-RW Drive
DVD +/- RW
LeadTek TV Tuner card
Radeon 9000 Pro (not a gamer, so not much need to upgrade)
2 HDD's (WD 120GB Caviar and 40GB Maxtor)
3 8mm fans
that's about it...

I just bought the Antec Performance Plus case and it's very nice, but it's HUGE (22" H with feet). It comes with a 430 SmartPower Antec PSU, which would be more than enough, but there's a nice Antec mid-tower that would fit all my parts, but only comes with a 350W PSU. If it would be ok, I might switch. If not, I'll stcik with this monster.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

Perfect, thanks! Think I'll stick with the tower/430 and just not move for a few years so I don't have to lug the damn thing around!

well if you do change case... take the old psu with you! just because a case has a psu included doesnt mean you have to use it!

regeisle said:
Posted this this AM, but still hasn't even been viewed once and it has an unmarked icon, so I just want to make sure it posted OK...

This is the system I'm putting together... need to know if 350W would suffice >>

P4 2.8ghz 800 FSB
1 GB PC 3200 Dual Channel
CD-RW Drive
DVD +/- RW
LeadTek TV Tuner card
Radeon 9000 Pro (not a gamer, so not much need to upgrade)
2 HDD's (WD 120GB Caviar and 40GB Maxtor)
3 8mm fans
that's about it...

I just bought the Antec Performance Plus case and it's very nice, but it's HUGE (22" H with feet). It comes with a 430 SmartPower Antec PSU, which would be more than enough, but there's a nice Antec mid-tower that would fit all my parts, but only comes with a 350W PSU. If it would be ok, I might switch. If not, I'll stcik with this monster.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

No :p

Basically it will run just barely for months. Buidling an extra HDD or switch to a 95xx or FX5xxx might cause instabilities. If the midi case is much cheaper, i'd go for it. A new psu will cost about €40 ($50??) for 400 watts.

regeisle said:
Perfect, thanks! Think I'll stick with the tower/430 and just not move for a few years so I don't have to lug the damn thing
around!

Wheels? Just rip em off an old shopping cart...

If you already have the power supply, go ahead and use it. A 350 watter will work fine. However the quality of the power supply means a lot. Check your voltages with your processor under load and everything hooked up. If they conform to the specs, you're OK.

If your power supply voltages drop below 10% of the rated voltages you might have problems. Problems that you will see are spontaneous reboots which usually means that the processor is being under-volted.

-Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom