Buying a Prebuilt rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesshuffle

Solid State Member
I recently won a lengthy disablility settlement, and want to have a near top-of-the-line gaming rig built. The only places I can find online that cater to this are tigerdirect and alienware.

The general specs of what I'm looking at are:

AMD x2 4400+ or 4800+ (I realise there's not much performance difference)
4 gigs ram
Either a 1900xtx or 2x 7900 GTX's
2x 70 gig 10,000 primary drive(s)
1 tb - 2 tb backup drives

My first question is, are there other reputable sites that make machines similar to this? Tigerdirect's Systemax line is signifigantly cheaper than Alienware's Aurora, but Systemax lacks some things (namely the 4 gigs of ram and tb's of storage) that I really want.

But while i can afford to buy the above pc from alienware, it comes with a $7000 price tag (including the monitor and a 4 year service plan.)

My second question is, in 2 years am I going to be looking at this thing and think "it's nice, storage-wise, but the gfx just can't keep up" and want another, newer one, or would this be such an amped up rig that it would be able to push the pixels in the newer games at full res even in 2008?

Any response, thoughts, ramblings, etc are appreciated, I know very little about RAIDs and the rest of the more technical side, or I'd be building it myself :)

Why? Overkill? My understanding is that Vista will be a resource hog.. would it not come in handy even then?

Bluesshuffle said:
I recently won a lengthy disablility settlement, and want to have a near top-of-the-line gaming rig built. The only places I can find online that cater to this are tigerdirect and alienware.

The general specs of what I'm looking at are:

AMD x2 4400+ or 4800+ (I realise there's not much performance difference)
4 gigs ram
Either a 1900xtx or 2x 7900 GTX's
2x 70 gig 10,000 primary drive(s)
1 tb - 2 tb backup drives

My first question is, are there other reputable sites that make machines similar to this? Tigerdirect's Systemax line is signifigantly cheaper than Alienware's Aurora, but Systemax lacks some things (namely the 4 gigs of ram and tb's of storage) that I really want.

But while i can afford to buy the above pc from alienware, it comes with a $7000 price tag (including the monitor and a 4 year service plan.)

My second question is, in 2 years am I going to be looking at this thing and think "it's nice, storage-wise, but the gfx just can't keep up" and want another, newer one, or would this be such an amped up rig that it would be able to push the pixels in the newer games at full res even in 2008?

Any response, thoughts, ramblings, etc are appreciated, I know very little about RAIDs and the rest of the more technical side, or I'd be building it myself :)

Check monarchcomputers.com They make rigs based on the options you choose and they have various types of lines(system lines). If I were you I would go with the Nemesis Gaming Line. Just go check it out. www.monarchcomputers.com

The falcon link doesnt seem to be working. I checked out monarch, a lot of nice options and the final price with my modifications came out at $5700 which is a nice chunk less.

[fanboyism] go with teh 2 x 7900gtx's [/fanboyism]

dont go with alienware, alienware is dell now, and we all know that dell is the devil

if you have 2 70gig 10k rpm drives, make sure you put them in raid 0 for increased read performance (fast loading times and such)

some people think that raid 1 gives faster reads but they are wrong...........

i think that system will serve you well for like 5 years. graphics are kindof slopping off on development ... i mean, graphics can only get SO good, then it takes modelers YEARS to model humans due to the pure detail involved.

lol, i love checking out my computer if i were to buy it prebuilt... it makes me feel happy, cause i got it for like 1/2 of what it sells for now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom