Install Video Card Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares82

Baseband Member
Hi I just bought a new video card (Apollo GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP) I put it in and turn on the computer, but all I get is one long BEEP sound. The screen though stays black, I don't even get the bios.

When I plug my old card back in everything works fine, so I need help please. Thank you for any input you can provide.

I plugged it in tightly I double checked, and tried doing it more then once. So it's deffinatly not that.

DOA? As in broken? I sure hope not, I just bought the **** thing. **** it and I was so psyched to play Oblivion today. Is there anything else that it could be? I really don't want to have to send this thing back and wait another week for a replacement.

I'm pretty sure that card has a molex connection on it, did you plug that in?

Make sure you seat it really well. My friend has a GeForce 6600 256mb card that you really have to push hard to get it to seat properly.

i'm not sure about that particular card.. but i've had some cards that need a power cable plugged directly into the card itself.. the same type as you would use for, say, a harddrive or cd-rom.

if it doesn't have one then chances are it is DOA. if you bought it in town, just take it back and say that it doesn't work and exchange for a new one.

if bought online, an RMA shouldn't take too long

Well MMH you hit it right on the nail, I can't believe how dumb I was. Turns out that this vid card needs to be plugged into the internal power supply.

In my defense though, my old card didn't need it and that joke of a manual that came with the card didn't mention anything about hooking it up to the internal power supply. In fact the only way I figured it out was by looking at the box and I saw under requirements that it said "Needs 4-pin hard drive power connector from internal power supply".

Anyways I hooked it up now and it's working. On to installing Oblivion :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom