XP Pro Black "Tune-Up" Start screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
Whenever I test different services settings and restart I get a back screen flashing that gives 2 options 1) XP PRo or 2) XP Pro tune up backup, then the normal XP logo screen.

It is fairly quick but quicker without it.

When I change the service back to how it was the screen still comes up on restart.

The only way I have been able to go back to not getting this screen is to do a system restore.

The last service I tried this on was Application Layer Gateway Service going from Manual to automatic. And then back to manual.

I want to beable to experimant with these services but this situation makes it tough. I want to know what this screen is all about. . I am currently on the 3rd Google page trying to figure it out??

thanks

It's a boot.ini change that is making that come up. I'm not sure what is loading it, cause I can mess with the services all I want and nothing changes. Anyway, you can remove the rnty from boot.ini in C:\ and that should resolve it for you.

C"\boot.ini

Inaris,
Thanks

So its safe to delete this entry? C"\boot.ini
Or should I just delete some of the notepad entry?
Will it recreate another one?

This is it:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=30DULU
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=30DULU-BAK

Thanks

You can delete the file or the entry. Either one. The machine should run with or without it. Xp is smart enough to start without knowing the exact location of the system.

This is the same as the recovery console, although, I think it's a different program, not MS's... If you want to get rid of it, you delete the "(TuneUp Backup)" value...

good luck

Delete this one

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=30DULU-BAK

I deleted the entry and upon reboot was unable to go into windows.

So , I went into recovery console and did a bootcfg /rebuild and all is well now.

Thanks for the replies

boot

Amd2800,

Not your fault, I deleted more than you suggested and I did it before you made your post. I deleted the whole file

Very odd. You shouldn't need the boot.ini file to boot XP. Unless there is something else that is using it... interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom