Building my very first rig...

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure but a lot of ppl here like the opty's. they oc' up to 800mhz extra on stock i think. dont take my word for it though. not too good with opty's

its great to see more people from England!! i was getting pretty lonely:( prehaps i am just not seeing all the English people:confused:
whatever you do, dont buy a high end dual core AMD as the prices differ so much across the range that you could spend your £ on a lower end CPU a couple of hundred on OCing equipment and OC it right past those higher end cards and still save yourself loads.
single core is a different matter, since the prices scale evenly you can easilly spend more on OCing stuff trying to get a 3200 to 4000 level than the difference would have cost in the first place if you get my meaning

i have heard of opty's getting up to 2.8 Ghz on air cooling, but at least 2.6.

Don't listen to those people that are saying not to get dual-core, dual is the way of the future "everyone is doing it"

I would really get the better processor and then save up to get 2G's.

IMO i don't see much use of a dualcore as of now... i don't really multitask... and even if games did.. i doubt it would make a huge difference.. its all gpu when gaming.. thats why i went with my 146 opteron.. instead of the 165.. also saved me 100 bucks. but i'm not saying dual cores a waste of money.. don't get me wrong, i'd take one over my single any day.. just not for the prices their at.. its alot of money, and it wouldnt really help me out too much in games.... well encoding and all that, i'm sure it makes a big difference.. but once again... i don't do that stuff.....

Exactly my point Nosboost. I mean, sure, X2 4400+ is leagues ahead of the 3700+ san diego, but if I get an X2 or a dual core opteron, it's still gonna cost me a bundle. And that means I'll be scrimpin and saving for a while. Where as, if I just stick with the 3700+ for now, by the time games start making more of a use of dual core processors, I'll easily be able to afford one, without ever having to live on a shoe string budget.

I'd rather save myself a bit of cash now, even if it means spending more in the long run. Besides, just because I'll be replacing the CPU, doesn't mean I don't know people that can't make use of the old one. Even if I just give it away to someone in the family, it still won't be a waist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom