First Time Overclocking...Not Working at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
[sigh]

Ok guys, I guess I'm not making myself clear.

Skip everything above. I'm sorry - I've spent about 6 hours doing this, and in that time I've been getting more and more frustrated. Let me make this as precise as possible.

FACTS

1) I AM NOT USING ANY FORM, WHATSOEVER, OF ANY SORT, TYPE, KIND, MAKE, VERSION, OR MODEL OF AI OVERCLOCKING. I TEMPORARILY DID _______ONLY TO SEE IF THE MOTHERBOARD WAS EVEN CAPABLE OF OVERCLOCKING ON ITS OWN PARAMETERS_________. And, it did. Thus, I have proven ONLY THAT THE MOTHERBOARD IS CAPABLE OF INCREASING THE HTT. Nothing more. AFTER THIS I SHUT OF ALL AI OVERCLOCKING NEVER TO TURN IT BACK ON.

THERE IS NO AI OVERCLOCK CURRENTLY IN USE. NAdA. NOTHING. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. ZILCH. ZIPPO. Pretend it doesn't exist.

2) I am currently able to alter all the important parameters - HT, Multiplier, VCore, MEM speed, MEMcore, etc... EXCEPT the HTT. I CANNOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, get the HTT to change.

I have successfully underclocked my computer by dropping the mem frequency and dropping the multiplier to 7. 1.4GHZ baby. Hazaa.

BUT NO MATTER WHAT I SET THE HTT AT, THE BIOS REFUSES TO ALTER THE SPEED OF THE HTT. And yes, I've tried setting the HT to 4x, and even 3x. No cigar.

3) There have been similar problems with A8N-SLI series MObos (like mine) that use Sata 300 Harddrives (Like mine). Some people arent' able to exceed HTT=220 because Sata 1 and Sata 2 are "locked" in frequency (I dont' get it either, but there is documentation of it). However, my HTT won't change at all, and I've plugged my HD into the SATA 3 slot. No cigar.

WHY THE **** WON'T MY HTT CHANGE?

Sorry guys, and thanks for the help in advance. I'm ready to kick this computer.

my apologies. i have a short attention span so you'll have to forgive me (thats no joke). it still sounds as if it is overclocking only when it sees you need the extra power though. as you say it went up massively when you started encoding. i have never really seen nor heard of an issue like this (i've heard of the reverse happening with clock speeds decreasing) so i'm only guessing here. make sure all options like cool n' quiet are disabled and if your bios mentions anything about manual overclocking controls enable it.

well sounds like to me your CPUZ is reading wrong ..try Everest Ultimate and y do u wanan OC it !!

FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

My Mobo is defective when it comes to OCing X2's.

HOWEVER, for whatever reason, there is an easy fix.

This fix consists of simply setting the bios to think that there is a 1.44 floppy driver when there isn't (I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous, but it's true. There are numerous other people who have had this problem). So even though I don't have a floppy, I set it, and what do you know, all works well!

So guess what? My CPU ROCKS for OCING.

With the stock Heat Sink and STOCK thermal paste I'm running 2.4 GHZ @ 1.39v.

Best part? Idle 29C, full load max 46C. STOCK COOLING!

AND, I may be able to reduce the voltage even more (I haven't reduced it until the system crashes yet).

Additionally, I'm running all stock RAM settings EXCEPT that I set the ram clock to 333mhz. Therefore, with my 20% OC, it runs at the stock 400mhz. I have confirmed this with CPU-Z. Is this correct logic? Isn;t the ideal for stability to have it run at the stock rate? My ram is rather low-end (ABIT standard ram) so I don't want to OC it too much.

Otherwise, I've left everything else how it is.

I will be benchmarking my system tomorrow. But thanks for the help guys even though I was a crank!

As for why am I OCing it? I dunno. Because I can basically. Don't need the speed - it's just that the potential is there, so why not use it?

Even better now!

2.40GHZ @1.29v 26C idle, 43C max load.

Played FEAR Maxed out for over an hour and it never touched above 43C with a 20% overclock on the stock heat sinc.

Moreover, I'm running .07v BELOW the stock voltage!

Moreover, I'm running .07v BELOW the stock voltage!
actually its 0.1v below stock. the 3800+ has a variable voltage listed which is between 1.3v-1.4v and anything within that is considered stock its just most motherboards set 1.35v. i can almost guarantee that from this point you are going to have to ramp the voltage significantly as it was a similar story with me.

Yeah running below stock voltage is _never_ a good idea, I'd amp it back up to stock just in case.

Nice OC btw :)

prime for 24 hours?? why?? who's computer is ever tortured that badly for 24 hours?!?!?!? i only did it for like 2 hours with my oc cuz my temps never changed or anything, i was even using aim and internet explorer while i was doing it.. i remember talking to trotter on aim while i was doing it too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom