Reformatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt08642

Daemon Poster
Incase I have to reformat my HD in the future, will I still have Windows Media Center Edition (it was pre-installed when I got my system)?

If you format your harddrive you will lose the windows media center.
I suggest you contact the manufacturer of your computer and ask them to send it out on a CD (you will need to provide purchase information).
It they did promise it free then they will need to give you it again along with the serials etc.

Hold the phone for a sec.. What kind of PC is it?? HP/Compaq and other oem's partition your hdd and create a repair partition and that is just an image of your install hdd and you don't need an xp cd to reformat. Depending on the OEM it mainly is start, all programs, HP/Compac (or other oem name) tools and system recovery. Go into their tools and there should be an option to create an emergency recovery cd (it is just a boot cd that alows windows to access the repair partition. Did I make sence?? lol When you first turned the computer on it would have asked you to make a back up cd and (use dvd's of cource because it will be a disc image and about 10gb's). You should be able to still make a complete image file from their tool's folder. So be sure not to format like the rest of us do or you will lose it, and can be a pain to "Aquire" a copy that your key will work with.

- Edit - an easy way to tell if you do have a repair partition is in computer management you will see it,, also it will be there in the defragement screen.

I have a Compaq. I did make a recovery cd and my D drive has 8GB of backup stuff on it. So if i ever do reformat, just pop in my recovery cd?

hrmm with your compaq when you boot up just go to f8 i think it was to restore, i did that all the time with my compaq.. it just takes all ur back up 8 gb stuff and deletes everything else you had and makes it factory new

FlashDude said:
Depending on the OEM it mainly is start, all programs, HP/Compac (or other oem name) tools and system recovery.

Make sure to select advanced (destructive) options when you are in there and follow the steps and it will be the same way it was when you brought it home (IT does a quick format). Compaq's have major issues with the standard re install. All it does is overright your OS and That isn't really what you want (non destructive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom