windows vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
Windows Vista™ is the first operating system that requires a dedicated GPU (graphics processing unit) to realize its full potential. Every aspect of Windows Vista, from the operations of opening and closing desktop windows, to smooth operation of applications and games, will be enhanced by the presence of a dedicated NVIDIA® GPU.

So they're basically endorsing that Vista will be a total and complete GPU hog? I'm pretty sure their target audience is not gamers lol. I don't think I'll be purchasing this...

Someone like you should know by now that the video card performance pretty much won't change, because your video card only displays what's on your monitor. It's not like it's going to display the Vista desktop screen behind the game screen your running on Vista. It's really the drivers that will pay a big role ... and the DX version ... is the first version of Vista going to use DX9 or DX10? They keep going back and forth on that ...

What they are saying is that if you don't have a mid-ranged dedicated video card, forget even thinking about upgrading to Vista.

However Vista will be a huge hog on memory, 2Gb(2x1Gb) will easily become the standard for gaming, 4Gb (2x2Gb) will be considered high performance by that time ... and since everything will be DDR2 by that time basically ... the timings aren't going to be to fast I'm guessing (how unfortunate :-\) ... even if they got the CAS down to 3 ... that wouldn't be stunningly fast.

Last but not least, your rig is obviously fine, but I'd reccomend going with a single and solid Geforce 8 video card for GDDR4 and DX10 support when they're released.

keep in mind you can run vista with full areo glass features on a basic 64 meg video card which probably runs for a grand total of $30 now a days.

well, i think 7800GTX512 is faster than 7800GT SLI. but meh, it plays all the games i have perfectly so idc. plus ill be able o ovreclock my stuff further once i get my new motherboard.
oh, sorry for being a newb on that vista thing (still learnin) i thought that even if you had a window minized (or even something covering the desktop) the video card would still have to devote a little bit of memory to it. srry lol. i still dont think ill upgrade. XP is working fine for me. (until something comes out that requires it). i'd rather spend my extra money on hardware.

I dont game on my pc so i just have the rubbish onboard jobbie which is something silly like 64meg, would that be capable of running vista?

jonny_uk said:
I dont game on my pc so i just have the rubbish onboard jobbie which is something silly like 64meg, would that be capable of running vista?

it should run vista without aero, but i think you need a dedicated card to run aero. don't quote me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom