What Do I Need For Video Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtpacygax

Banned
Hi,
I have a question regarding video editing. I got Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 for beginning to edit videos. It runs slow however. I was wondering what is it that would be causing it to run slow. I believe it is the CPU. Am I right? My specs are:

-Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Proccessor
-Geforce 7800 GS
-1 GB RAM

What CPU should I get for fast video editing, so it doesn't make small pauses, but also so I can play games good?

Also, while I made this thread I might as well ask this question. Is there any cables that are iLink to USB? I think it is called iLink. Because, I have a cable for importing videos, but it is for a firewire port. I don't have a firewire port, so is there another solution?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what it is, but it is for transfering videos. One end goes into the camcorder where it says hdv/dv and the other end is a firewire cable. But, can someone please answer my question about the video editing lag, it is very important.

for multi media editing go dual core, to save some cash you can go ahead with an intel dual core, the pentiumD 820 or 830 should do you good. its not as powerful as AthlonX2 but it will be plenty.

Too bad I have an AGP motherboard, and I just spent over 3,000 dollars on camcorder stuff. There is no way I can get that proccessor, since I would have to get a new video card and motherboard as well. Thanks though. But I was wondering, with the CPU I have now, when everything in the background is turned off except for my firewall and other small programs, shouldn't I be able to run the video editing software ok? Because mine freezes up once in a while, and it is near impossible to work with. Could there be another reason for the horrible amount of "lag" and freezing?

Then any ideas of what is going on? Does it matter that my dad put the video files on a dvd and then I put them on my computer instead of using the cable (I can't use the cable because I have no firewire port)? Will it effect me if I am using HDV video instead of DV, like does HDV cause a difference in performance while video editing?

Your hardware is fine for video editing. But more importantly check what you are editing as their different rendering of video files.

If your are rendering or saving files as HDV (High Defition Video), that will strain your computers guts hard. Also it depends on how your editing it. If your shipping in media files to the editor that is 50 minutes long and high quality video trying to peice together a 3 hour movie, your computer isn't going to handle it all to well.

Try to edit sections of movie in peices then glue it together at the end of production. You just have be aware of the compression and file sizes your editing, also look at getting a better program. Roxio isn't great for good editing, see if you can get a program called Vegas made by SonicFoundry or even the Apple Imovie. Even the Adobe Afteraffects program is great for editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom